Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » How to use existing java classes as Types in uml
How to use existing java classes as Types in uml [message #515063] Wed, 17 February 2010 15:46 Go to next message
Adam Lukaszewski is currently offline Adam LukaszewskiFriend
Hi eclipse community,

I'm new at uml (uml2 tools, emf, ...) and I'm trying to get my first experiences with this framework respectively tools. Now I'm at the point where I try to model some small class diagrams and generate the corresponding java classes from it.

My question is now: How I'm able to use particular java types which are defined in jars or in classes that are not specified in a *.uml file (model).

Why I'm asking: I'm developing some sub-projects which shall be embedded in an existing application. No one has made the effort to model all the existing java classes and a kind of reverse engineering is also not possible. Some of the planed classes that I'll develop will use the already available application sources. I know the APIs of the classes but I don't want to model this (only use them as a kind of DataType in my class diagrams).

I'm aware that this will lead to the fact that I'll get rid of the nice features of the emf framework but in my case its ok.

A example of what I mean:

1. I model the Class: XYZClass
2. XYZClass has attribute:
a : EString
b : ABCClass

The ABCClass is a class which exists already somewhere in the source code and that I have to use for the realization of XYZClass.

Thanks for help...
Re: How to use existing java classes as Types in uml [message #515076 is a reply to message #515063] Wed, 17 February 2010 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
............................................................ ............

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2010 14:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use existing java classes as Types in uml [message #520287 is a reply to message #515063] Thu, 11 March 2010 20:03 Go to previous message
Konstantin is currently offline KonstantinFriend
Why no reversal engineering? You are developing application. So you are using the java classes/jars. Why can't you use these files for modeling?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2010 20:04]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Extending the Standard profile
Next Topic:How to use existing java classes as Types in uml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 15:11:42 GMT 2024