Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Remote debugging into Tomcat/Linux/x64 from Win7 x64(Getting "timeout exception" errors)
Remote debugging into Tomcat/Linux/x64 from Win7 x64 [message #513489] Wed, 10 February 2010 11:44
Richard Gaywood is currently offline Richard GaywoodFriend
Can anyone help me resolve this? I think the problem might lie in the underlying platforms I'm using.

I have an x64 Linux instance running Tomcat 5.0.28 under Java 1.6.0_16 (this is a dupe of our production install, so I can't change those software versions). It's actually a VM, although I doubt that matters. My workstation is running Windows 7 x64, JDK 1.6.0_18 x64, and Eclipse 3.5.1 and I want to remote debug the Tomcat server. I can connect JSwat running on my workstation to Tomcat on the Linux server and can hit breakpoints, so I can't have any network, firewall, or Tomcat config issues (I think). However, when I fire Eclipse up, it fails with the following message under workspace/.metadata/log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.launching 4 113 2010-02-10 11:29:49.106
!MESSAGE Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection timed out.
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.jdi.TimeoutException
	at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.SocketTransportService.attach(SocketTransportService.java:151)
	at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.SocketTransportImpl.attach(SocketTransportImpl.java:43)
	at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.SocketAttachingConnectorImpl.attach(SocketAttachingConnectorImpl.java:118)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.SocketAttachConnector.connect(SocketAttachConnector.java:139)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JavaRemoteApplicationLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(JavaRemoteApplicationLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:853)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:703)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:866)
	at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1069)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Tomcat is running with the following debug command line parameters:
-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=1044,server=y,suspend= n

In Eclipse, I have configured a Debug Configuration with connection type "standard (socket attach)", host IP and port number defined correctly.

I started with eclipse-jee-galileo-SR1-win32, then I tried a trick from here http://www.catalysts.cc/blog/running-eclipse-on-windows-7-64 -bit/; where I unzipped eclipse-SDK-3.5.1-win32-x86_64 over the top of it (should give me a working x64 JEE Eclipse instance). I get the same error with all those versions.

What am I missing?
Previous Topic:Customizing tooltip for Eclipse perspective
Next Topic:BeanInfo Registry
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:45:40 GMT 2024