Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » can PDT copy files to server when remote debugging?
can PDT copy files to server when remote debugging? [message #509326] Fri, 22 January 2010 00:15
Andy  is currently offline Andy Friend
Hey all,

I'm a newbie to PDT; hope someone can help me out. Here's what I was expecting would be the steps for an iterative debug process involving a remote development server.

1. You make your changes to (let's say) a couple of PHP files stored in your project in your workspace (which is on local storage, eg HD).

2. You want to test your changes so you tell the IDE you want to run a particular debug configuration.

3. PDT uses the server details in the debug configuration to decide where to *upload the changed files* to (eg using SFTP). (This is the step that either doesn't exist or I can't find.)

4. The debugger executes the appropriate page based on the file selected in the config and the path mapping associated with the server.

It seems to me that PDT expects the file to already be on the server. I imagine this could be done by having an NFS share and actually saving the file directly to the server, but that wouldn't be fun with high latency connections. Could set up rsync, write a shell script to diff and copy, but ultimately I feel I'm missing something a bit more fundamental...

Can anyone help?

TIA,

Andy
Previous Topic:Zend Studio debugger documentation and requirement
Next Topic:Code assist, etc. for namespaced classes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 05:14:12 GMT 2024