Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Version qualifier not replaced with url.catalog and local readers
Version qualifier not replaced with url.catalog and local readers [message #506131] Wed, 06 January 2010 10:11 Go to next message
David ALEXANDRE is currently offline David ALEXANDREFriend
Hi,

I tried to use those two readers to import projects which have been checked out earlier in the build process. The build succeeds but the version qualifier is not replaced. If I switch to SVN reader qualifiers are processed correctly.

I am using generator:lastModified for replacement. Also the working copy is not really one as it is "checked out" by team city which really does an export (with no svn metadata).

Re: Version qualifier not replaced with url.catalog and local readers [message #506147 is a reply to message #506131] Wed, 06 January 2010 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi David,
This is per design. The version qualifier generator can only function when the project is "team shared" since it uses
the sharing information to obtain the SCM provider (CVS and SVN currently) that it can use to extract the meta-data.

This could be improved of course, so that the local reader and url.catalog reader (when using the file protocol) could
try and find known meta-data (.svn or .cvs folders etc.) and make use of that. Please enter a bugzilla if you think that
is an important enhancement.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 2010-01-06 11:11, David ALEXANDRE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to use those two readers to import projects which have been
> checked out earlier in the build process. The build succeeds but the
> version qualifier is not replaced. If I switch to SVN reader qualifiers
> are processed correctly.
> I am using generator:lastModified for replacement. Also the working copy
> is not really one as it is "checked out" by team city which really does
> an export (with no svn metadata).
>
>
Re: Version qualifier not replaced with url.catalog and local readers [message #506151 is a reply to message #506147] Wed, 06 January 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David ALEXANDRE is currently offline David ALEXANDREFriend
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your reply, my real concern is about the build duration. If Team City does the checkout the build takes about 4 minutes. If I use buckminster to do the checkout the duration go up to 15 minutes. But this could come from the metadata processing if other readers skip this step.

I my use case, I do not have svn metadata along with source code so I was expecting "generator:lastModified" to compute the qualifier from file-system timestamps.

I do not know if those enhancement are really critical but it could be considered in making buckminster more modular.
Re: Version qualifier not replaced with url.catalog and local readers [message #506737 is a reply to message #506151] Sat, 09 January 2010 10:41 Go to previous message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi David,
One reason a Buckminster check-out takes longer might be that it extracts meta-data from the
projects to make sure it's getting the right thing. You can improve that performance quite a bit by
adding a team project set and have Buckminster point to that. In some cases however, what you gain
in performance is lost in flexibility since you'll need to maintain the '.psf' file with correct
versions and branches.

The documentation for the psf file reader is still pending, but you can read about the details here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=291634

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

David ALEXANDRE wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks for your reply, my real concern is about the build duration. If
> Team City does the checkout the build takes about 4 minutes. If I use
> buckminster to do the checkout the duration go up to 15 minutes. But
> this could come from the metadata processing if other readers skip this
> step.
>
> I my use case, I do not have svn metadata along with source code so I
> was expecting "generator:lastModified" to compute the qualifier from
> file-system timestamps.
>
> I do not know if those enhancement are really critical but it could be
> considered in making buckminster more modular.
Previous Topic:exclude a transitive (maven) dependency
Next Topic:import of root files, root folders - but the directory structure will be flatten
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:49:05 GMT 2024