Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Creating a C Plugin for the Pic Microcontroller?(Please help me get started)
Creating a C Plugin for the Pic Microcontroller? [message #504278] Fri, 18 December 2009 04:03 Go to next message
Bruce Stemlpewski is currently offline Bruce StemlpewskiFriend
I have been away from eclipse for a while. I have used in mainly as a java developer (beginner).

Now I have started a new hobby of programming PIC Microcontrollers

To be blunt the IDE in MP Lab is horrible. I would like to improve on it. What a better way to do it than using Eclipse but I am not sure where to get started.

I know there is a plugin out there already but it only seems to work with the 32 bit micros and is not well supported.

I know I need to create a plug in. I have been through the Hello World samples but need more direction.

Would I just add a plugin to the existing C++ plugin that is already out there? Just adding to the functionality of C++?

Or would I create my new plugin based one the C++ plugin and modify it from there?

I know yoy can create a plugin in the plugin wizard based on an existing plugin but I am not exactly sure how to do this for C++ or even if I am supposed to be doing this.

Can anyone please give me a push in the right direction or point me to a resource?

Re: Creating a C Plugin for the Pic Microcontroller? [message #504431 is a reply to message #504278] Fri, 18 December 2009 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dilton McGowan II is currently offline Dilton McGowan IIFriend
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 23:03:32 -0500, Bruce Stemlpewski wrote:

> I know yoy can create a plugin in the plugin wizard based on an existing
> plugin but I am not exactly sure how to do this for C++ or even if I am
> supposed to be doing this.
>
> Can anyone please give me a push in the right direction or point me to a
> resource?

I'd try the eclipse.tools.cdt newsgroup and their web site:
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
Re: Creating a C Plugin for the Pic Microcontroller? [message #509522 is a reply to message #504278] Fri, 22 January 2010 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emilio Palma is currently offline Emilio PalmaFriend
Have you tried piccbuilder? http://sourceforge.net/projects/piccbuilder/
Re: Creating a C Plugin for the Pic Microcontroller? [message #670392 is a reply to message #509522] Fri, 13 May 2011 20:25 Go to previous message
Mike Pritt is currently offline Mike PrittFriend
It's good to see that there's effort being made here, but personally (as a physicist and electrical engineer) there seems to be room to go and I, too, think that the MP Lab IDE is a total let down. This is exacerbating given how much I was charged for it.

I think it might be best if it were to work not merely with C, but also PICBasic and straight-up assembler, as unlike most programmers we often do have to worry about memory and program size constraints. It would also be nice to have a simulation module that tries to work out how the program would run on the actual chip (virtual machine style).

In the meanwhile, you might consider an alternative of some of the tools available for Ubuntu. They're just as functional and easy to get a hold of. Look for the piklab, gpsim, and gputils packages; they're in the main Ubuntu repository next to a few others. It's not Eclipse, but it's the next best thing.

--Mike Pritt
Previous Topic:Blackberry app in eclipse
Next Topic:Problem with eclipse EE 3.6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:38:56 GMT 2024