Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » How to implement preUpdate from DescriptorEventAdapter?
How to implement preUpdate from DescriptorEventAdapter? [message #503123] Thu, 10 December 2009 23:35 Go to next message
Jon.B  is currently offline Jon.B Friend
While implementing a PreUpdate method to update a timestamp on an entity, I ran into the exact problem described at: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=49975 6&S=3bcc64b0e0822e7707f2ce0b616d92df

I can get PreUpdate to fire, but it fires in the same manner as using the @PreUpdate notation. I need it to fire with the DescriptorEvent call to get at the updateAttributeWithObject method.

I have attempted to implement the method in a listener that extends DescriptorEventAdapter. I can get the code worked out, but how do I register this in the ORM to be called appropriately??

Everything works when I set up the preUpdate method to be compatible with the Entity object but not with the DescriptorEvent. Setting <pre-update> to the preUpdate(DescriptorEvent e) method, fails.

Listener:
public class TimestampListener extends DescriptorEventAdapter {
    //@PreUpdate
    public void setUpdatedOn(Timestamped object) {
        object.setUpdatedOn(new Date());
    }

@PrePersist
    public void setCreatedOn(Timestamped object) {
        if (object.getCreatedOn() == null) {
            object.setCreatedOn(new Date());
        }
    }

public void customize(ClassDescriptor descriptor) {
        descriptor.getEventManager().addListener(this);
    }

//THIS IS THE METHOD I WANT TO HIT
    public void preUpdate(DescriptorEvent e) {
        setUpdatedOn((Subject) e.getSource());
        e.updateAttributeWithObject("updated_on", e);
    }
}

ORM XML:
    <entity class="MyEntity">
        <attributes>
        </attributes>
        <entity-listeners>
            <entity-listener class="com.myproject.listeners.TimestampListener">
                <pre-update method-name="setUpdatedOn"/>
            </entity-listener>
        </entity-listeners>
    </entity>

TIA!

Re: How to implement preUpdate from DescriptorEventAdapter? [message #503293 is a reply to message #503123] Fri, 11 December 2009 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jon.B  is currently offline Jon.B Friend
Solved it.

The Listener class needs to extend DescriptorEventAdapter and implement DescriptorCustomizer. The hook to register that listener with the Entity goes in persistence.xml:
<property name="eclipselink.descriptor.customizer.MYENTITYNAME" value="com.mirth.results.entities.listeners.TimestampListener"/>

Re: How to implement preUpdate from DescriptorEventAdapter? [message #503775 is a reply to message #503123] Tue, 15 December 2009 17:18 Go to previous message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

You need to register the DesriptorEventListener with the descriptor. This can be done using a DescriptorCustomizer. You seem to have the customize() method already, you need to implement DescriptorCustomizer and register the customizer using the @Customizer annotation in your Entity, or the persistence.xml property, "eclipselink.descriptor.customizer.<entity-name>".

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Previous Topic:1.1.3 vs 2.0 equals
Next Topic:JPA 2.0 non-jta-data-source issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:05:10 GMT 2024