Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Git Pull?(How to update local copy?)
Git Pull? [message #502589] Tue, 08 December 2009 23:14 Go to next message
Michael Heuberger is currently offline Michael HeubergerFriend
Hello

There is another important command I am missing in EGit:

git pull origin master

How can I make a git pull from the master branch in EGit?

Thank you for the hint.

Michael
Re: Git Pull? [message #502651 is a reply to message #502589] Wed, 09 December 2009 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
Hi,

"git pull" is not there because we don't have "git merge" yet. That's under developement ... but not yet available. I always switch for a minute to my native git implementation to do such operations.

Details
"git pull" is the same as "git fetch" plus "git merge". First you get the new stuff from the remote side (git fetch) and then you merge the new stuff with your local branch. If for example you have done modifications to your local branch then a full fledged merge is needed. This operation is not yet there in Egit.

Ciao
Chris
Re: Git Pull? [message #502665 is a reply to message #502651] Wed, 09 December 2009 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. What native git implementation do you use?

And when will the merge function be available? The sooner the better Smile
Re: Git Pull? [message #502720 is a reply to message #502665] Wed, 09 December 2009 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
"Michael Heuberger" <michael.heuberger@binarykitchen.com> wrote in message
news:hfnv9i$9l5$1@build.eclipse.org...
>I see. What native git implementation do you use?

Depends on the operating system you are using, have a look here :
http://git-scm.com/download

> And when will the merge function be available? The sooner the better :)

You may follow the review of the basic merge implementation here :
http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,123

--
Matthias
Re: Git Pull? [message #502725 is a reply to message #502720] Wed, 09 December 2009 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, I tried the native implementation msysGit for Windoze but something went horribly wrong and damaged the files. All became changed because of wrong line feeds settings.

So that's why EGit seems to me more stable to me.

Good, I see the git merge algorithm is on review now. I hope someone is reviewing now. Can't wait to get it Smile

By the way, I am impressed by your replies on all my topcis so far. Thank you very much!

Cheers

Michael
Re: Git Pull? [message #510571 is a reply to message #502725] Wed, 27 January 2010 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha  is currently offline Sasha Friend
Hi, sorry for bothering. Is there any progress with pull/fetch implementation in eGit?

Thanks,
Sasha
Re: Git Pull? [message #576485 is a reply to message #502720] Wed, 09 December 2009 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, I tried the native implementation msysGit for Windoze but something went horribly wrong and damaged the files. All became changed because of wrong line feeds settings.

So that's why EGit seems to me more stable to me.

Good, I see the git merge algorithm is on review now. I hope someone is reviewing now. Can't wait to get it :)

By the way, I am impressed by your replies on all my topcis so far. Thank you very much!

Cheers

Michael
Re: Git Pull? [message #577012 is a reply to message #502725] Wed, 27 January 2010 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha  is currently offline Sasha Friend
Hi, sorry for bothering. Is there any progress with pull/fetch implementation in eGit?

Thanks,
Sasha
Re: Git Pull? [message #646269 is a reply to message #577012] Thu, 23 December 2010 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Franck Dernoncourt is currently offline Franck DernoncourtFriend

Yes: http:// wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Pulling_New_Changes_from_Up stream_Repositories
Re: Git Pull? [message #1752979 is a reply to message #502589] Tue, 31 January 2017 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Desmond Jefferson is currently offline Desmond JeffersonFriend
This is just terrible advice. I have been using eclipse since 2007. There has NEVER been a time that the pull from git that hasn't ever involved conflicts. So VERY SIMPLY how do you pull and NOT have conflicts after you are in the Sychronize view, in the Incoming MOde, and push the merge all non conflicting button. Because it has never ever worked properly.....EVER!

Please post simple instruction of how to do this and be sure you test that it does work, so I can do the same. Otherwise this plugin has been broken for almost 10 years!
Re: Git Pull? [message #1755277 is a reply to message #1752979] Wed, 01 March 2017 22:16 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
* ensure you installed a recent EGit version (latest release is 4.6 or use nightly build)
* select the repository in repositories view
* click "Pull..."
* select the remote and branch you want to pull
* select rebase option (rebase, rebase preserving merge commits, rebase interactive, merge)
* check "Configure upstream" if you want to configure the currently checked out local branch to track the selected upstream branch
* click "Finish"
Previous Topic:EGit - Commit and Push button custom warning message
Next Topic:What should Team > Create patch do? Does EGit supply it?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:58:57 GMT 2024