Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » New Help with RCP Application Design
New Help with RCP Application Design [message #501985] Fri, 04 December 2009 16:26 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hi there. I am new to RCP and have been tasked with designing a new application in RCP. I have a question on how best to structure the flow through the application and thought I would drop a question here to see if anybody has any good suggestions.

The application being created is a fairly "typical" looking application. There is a tree view on the left side of the application, and based on what you select in the tree, one or more views show up on the right hand side of the application. The views on the right hand side can be a single chart for example, or a tabbed pane with several charts and report like views.

My question is how best to structure this navigation in the application. Based on the RCP paradigm, I initially thought it would be best to create a bunch of different perspectives, one for each unique view that needs to be shown on the right and make the tree view a sticky view on the left so it is not affected by perspective changes. In this model, as they click around in the tree, that code will display the applicable perspective to show what is needed on the right. Initially this looked like it might be a good idea, but as I thought through it more, I am not so sure. If I design the application in this fashion, I could end up with 25-30 different perspectives. Not exactly optimal. In addition, even though the tree view is a stick view, the tree view maintains it specific size for each perspective. So for example, if I am in perspective 1 and resize the tree to make it really small, then open perspective 2, it is large again, and back to perspective 1 it is how it was and small again.

Based on this, I went down the line of thinking that instead of a perspective based approach, that I should have a single perspective, and then have some logic in there to based on the selection in tree, tear down and recreate the applicable views on the right. This also is not really optimal since you will end up with this mondo case statement that has to determine based on the selection in the tree, to show x and y, or x, y, and z., etc.

So does anybody have any suggestions about better approaches to take along these lines? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Re: New Help with RCP Application Design [message #502082 is a reply to message #501985] Sat, 05 December 2009 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francis Upton IV is currently offline Francis Upton IVFriend
I agree the perspective thing is a bad idea.

You are going to have to encode the mapping between the selection in the tree view and the views on the right to display somewhere, so have a giant case statement to deal with this does not seem so bad to me. I can't think of a better way to do this offhand.

If you want to use the workbench and resources for your objects in your tree view (on the left), then you would use a workspace and the common navigator (using the resource part of that). This could give you a lot for free if it applies.

Re: New Help with RCP Application Design [message #502410 is a reply to message #501985] Tue, 08 December 2009 04:16 Go to previous message
Shawn Spiars is currently offline Shawn SpiarsFriend
I agree that so many perspectives is not a good design decision. I
would recommend something in between - a few different perspectives
based upon the different user's needs AND opening an closing some
views based upon selections in the sticky navigator on the left.

Shawn
Previous Topic:"Platform filter did not match" when running exported RCP product
Next Topic:Update Site Categories not shown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:34:37 GMT 2024