Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » @ReturnInsert(returnOnly=true) not working with PostgreSQL
@ReturnInsert(returnOnly=true) not working with PostgreSQL [message #496523] Tue, 10 November 2009 12:36 Go to next message
habakuk  is currently offline habakuk Friend
Hi,

I tried to use the @returnInsert annotation

@ReturnInsert(returnOnly=true) 
protected Timestamp insertdate;

and got this exception:

Exception [EclipseLink-193] (Eclipse Persistence Services - 1.2.0.v20091016-r5565): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DescriptorException
Exception Description: There is no custom [InsertObjectQuery] set, but ReturningPolicy contains field(s) to be returned and [PostgreSQLPlatform] doesnt support generating call with returning.
Descriptor: RelationalDescriptor(ppd.model.entities.DVHist --> [DatabaseTable(DV_HIST)])
	at org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DescriptorException.noCustomQueryForReturningPolicy(DescriptorException.java:1855)
	at org.eclipse.persistence.descriptors.ReturningPolicy.validationAfterDescriptorInitialization(ReturningPolicy.java:871)
	at org.eclipse.persistence.descriptors.ClassDescriptor.selfValidationAfterInitialization(ClassDescriptor.java:3498)
	at org.eclipse.persistence.descriptors.ClassDescriptor.validateAfterInitialization(ClassDescriptor.java:5222)
	at org.eclipse.persistence.descriptors.ClassDescriptor.postInitialize(ClassDescriptor.java:3218)

I'd like to know how I can make this work with PostgreSQL

Thanks
Habakuk
Re: @ReturnInsert(returnOnly=true) not working with PostgreSQL [message #497138 is a reply to message #496523] Thu, 12 November 2009 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

Returning using the "RETURNING" clause is currently only supported on Oracle. For other database native SQL is required for the INSERT/UPDATE to allow returning.

PostgreSQL does seem to have support for the "RETURNING" clause though, so please log a bug to have this support added.

You can customize your own subclass of the PostgreSQLPlatform yourself to add returning support. You need to override the methods, buildCallWithReturning and canBuildCallWithReturning.

I will looking into adding this support in the 2.0 stream.

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: @ReturnInsert(returnOnly=true) not working with PostgreSQL [message #498357 is a reply to message #497138] Mon, 16 November 2009 15:13 Go to previous message
habakuk  is currently offline habakuk Friend
Done (Bug 295259)

Thanks James!
Previous Topic:case insensitive "order by"
Next Topic:proper Maven config?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:05:12 GMT 2024