Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » p2 profile created By Buckminster
p2 profile created By Buckminster [message #495909] Fri, 06 November 2009 15:35 Go to next message
Bob Walker is currently offline Bob WalkerFriend
Can anyone explain how the p2 profile creation in Buckminster differs from that created by an IDE export?

The product generated from "Export Product" has a default "profile.profile" folder under p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/, this contains a .data/ folder, a .lock file and a handful of *.profile.gz files.

When creating via Buckminster/Hudson, I specify a profile name in my buckminster.cspex file, and this creates a correspondingly-named directory, with the same .data/ folder and .lock file, but with fewer, ungzipped, .profile files.

This seems to make the difference between p2 updates working and not for me - if I replace my Buckminster-created profile folder with the one created by the IDE and modify my configuration/config.ini accordingly, my updates work fine, otherwise I get features and plugins that report as updated but with the old contents not replaced on disk.

Thanks!

Re: p2 profile created By Buckminster [message #496025 is a reply to message #495909] Sat, 07 November 2009 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Bob,
I'm uncertain what you mean by "buckminster created profile". The profile is created when a product
is installed by the p2 director. Are you referring to the "create.product" ant tasks in our RCP
tutorial?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Bob Walker wrote:
> Can anyone explain how the p2 profile creation in Buckminster differs
> from that created by an IDE export?
>
> The product generated from "Export Product" has a default
> "profile.profile" folder under
> p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/, this contains a
> .data/ folder, a .lock file and a handful of *.profile.gz files.
>
> When creating via Buckminster/Hudson, I specify a profile name in my
> buckminster.cspex file, and this creates a correspondingly-named
> directory, with the same .data/ folder and .lock file, but with fewer,
> ungzipped, .profile files.
>
> This seems to make the difference between p2 updates working and not for
> me - if I replace my Buckminster-created profile folder with the one
> created by the IDE and modify my configuration/config.ini accordingly,
> my updates work fine, otherwise I get features and plugins that report
> as updated but with the old contents not replaced on disk.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
Re: p2 profile created By Buckminster [message #496033 is a reply to message #496025] Sat, 07 November 2009 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response. Yes - I do mean the create.product task added by the buckminster.cspex extension in the tutorial.

I've just had a closer look - I see that the value in:

<property key="profile" value="MailProfile"/>

...gets passed to the command in build/product.ant, which is just a wrapper for org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director - I guess that means I should be asking this in the Equinox list, unless you can shed any light.....?

Thank for your time!

Regards,

Bob
Re: p2 profile created By Buckminster [message #496238 is a reply to message #495909] Mon, 09 November 2009 12:49 Go to previous message
Hi,

I finally got to the bottom of my problem!! I thought I'd better share as I find it incredible that I seem to be the only person having this trouble...

In short, my problems were solved by adding the line:

<arg value="-roaming"/>

to the call to the director app in build/product.ant in my product feature project. Forgive me if I'm stating what everyone else already knew, but this came as something of a revelation to me!

Without this option, it *seems* that a product created via the create.product/create.product.zip examples can only be used successfully on the machine on which it was created, or a machine with file access to the build's working directory, as it *seems* the default profile created contains absolute file paths without the -roaming option passed to the director.

I can see why this would be the case, and the scant documentation on the -roaming option makes sense, but I feel like I'm missing something else here - I can't be the first person the build a p2-enabled product via Buckminster and Hudson following the examples and have it not work as expected?

Confused (but happy) :-S

Bob
Previous Topic:Eclipse freezes on mspec import
Next Topic:[aggregator] Problems with tutorial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:16:02 GMT 2024