Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds)(Is there a way to link to help topic without resorting to pure filenames)
standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #491445] Wed, 14 October 2009 15:31 Go to next message
Yan Periard is currently offline Yan PeriardFriend
Hi,

We are looking for a way to find/link to topic in the infocenter without having to use the html filename. We have found the topic parameter but this uses the topic filename. Is there a parameter that we can use to link to a specific topic by using an internal id?

We are producing documentation from a set of DITA topics/maps and would like to add a level of indirection so that even if the filenames are changed the help continues to point to the correct location. For example in DITA the resourceId http:// docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/resourceid .html would be our preferred way of doing this.

Is it possible?

We have tried the following, hoping that context help would work in an infocenter, but we must be doing something wrong.

http://localhost:8081/help/index.jsp?contextId=com.ixiasoft. eclipse.product.help.search_view

We are starting the infocenter from a simple java test class using the org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help class, are there options that must be used to enable context help? BTW context help is working fine locally in the full eclipse application.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #491998 is a reply to message #491445] Fri, 16 October 2009 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
This sounds like something that could be accomplished using a help content provider but I don't fully understand the use case. Can you explain a little more of how you want to interpret the URL which is passed to the help system.?
Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #492454 is a reply to message #491998] Tue, 20 October 2009 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'll try to explain myself better, sorry as english in not my first language.

We are building help files but we do not control the filenames themselves. They are part of a CMS, so the only thing under our control is the content of the file itself (in DITA). Once the document is built it is then linked to an application for contextual help purposes using fully resolved URL

http://localhost:8081/help/topic/com.foo.bar.help/html/11437 41569421.html

the problem arises if the same content is applied in a different files (eg. for branching purposes for doc, etc.) the filename can change, but we don't control the software and can't change all the help links.

So we would like to know if it would be possible to "query" the infocenter with another field like the contextId, or better use the DITA resource Id to abstract the filenames. That way as long as a Help topic refers to the correct resourceId, it can be found by the software application without having to know first hand what will be the filename.

I hope is was clearer, let me know if it is not.

thank
Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #492779 is a reply to message #492454] Wed, 21 October 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
A content producer should solve your problem. If you use the org.eclipse.help.contentProducer extension point in a plug-in then any reference to an href where the first part of the path matches the name of that plug-in will use the content producer. You just need to provide a class which implements IHelpContentProducer, an interface which has one method:

public InputStream getInputStream(String pluginId, String href, Locale locale)

This way you can code whatever logic you need for resolving the actual path in the content producer.
Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #492789 is a reply to message #492779] Wed, 21 October 2009 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I will definitively try this.

I will let you know as soon as I have something

thanks again
Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #493520 is a reply to message #491445] Mon, 26 October 2009 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexej Spas is currently offline Alexej SpasFriend
Please take a look on DITAworks solution: www.ditaworks.com

It provides a comprehensive publishing support for Eclipse Help based on DITA and adresses the problem discussed here. It also addresses other problems of advanced Eclipse Help support that are not solved in DITA Open Toolkit like:

Support of Eclipse help contexts
    Integartion of cheat sheets
    Cross-plugin links resolving
    Integration with development IDE
    and much more...

Please take a look on following blog posts:
DITA Eclipse Editor: Using DITA for publishing documentation in Eclipse Help format.
Eclipse RCP Documentation Development with DITAworks

Regards,
Alexej Spas

Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #493523 is a reply to message #491445] Mon, 26 October 2009 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Mon, 26 October 2009 15:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #493555 is a reply to message #492779] Mon, 26 October 2009 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

just wanted to let you know that the contentProducer was the way to go. I only need to configure the eclipse built in Jetty. This to make the default returned mime type to text/html instead of text/plain.

thanks
Re: standalone html help and resource ids (contextIds) [message #504902 is a reply to message #493555] Wed, 23 December 2009 08:53 Go to previous message
Hi all,

Please take a look on documentation management tool called DITAworks (www.ditaworks.com)

This is an Eclipse based tool that manages documentation with single source approach using DITA standard. It provides the way to reference dita tiopics instead of HTML files and also handles other Eclipse help generation issues like cross-plugin link generation control, pulling topic title on level of help coontexts and s.o.

It also has set of special features for producing Eclipse help and integration with RCP application and RCP application development process. Take a look on following blog-post for more details:

Support of specific Eclipse help features in DITAworks
Step by step guide on how to support Eclipse help content under DITAworks

Also there are some screencasts available here:
http://www.ditaworks.com/state/AG:item.34.subitem.43/AC:-1.6 60216953/

I hope this helps,
Alexej
Previous Topic:plugins needed for standalone help in eclipse 3.5
Next Topic:Run a JSP from within a help plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:22:33 GMT 2024