Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » m2t projects
m2t projects [message #489549] Sun, 04 October 2009 18:59 Go to next message
mariam  is currently offline mariam Friend
Hello, I am new to this field. I have noticed that there are several projects under M2T. I would like to ask what are the main differences between the three tools Jet, Acceleo, and XPand.
Thank you .
Re: m2t projects [message #489853 is a reply to message #489549] Tue, 06 October 2009 09:17 Go to previous message
Siegfried Nolte is currently offline Siegfried NolteFriend
Hi Mariam,

I'm not that expert, too. But I worked on that question as well and got some impression.
* JET - It's something like the Eclipse EMF defacto standard for generating code from models. You need a metamodel somehow XML based; UML will do very well. So you can generate Code from UML models, though UML-profiles are not, or not easily, supported, as far as I know.
* Acceleo implements the OMG's M2T standard. You will get code from any metamodel based model, UML and others.
* XPand is just like the above a metamodel based generation language, that uses a special template language.

They are alike, all of them work fine, so you have to like the one or another template notation. I'm working on a simple sample project showing those different notations and usage, but it's not ready yet.

Siegfried
Previous Topic:[JET] UML2 dependancy from JET 1.0
Next Topic:[Xtend]Executing Xtend templates contributed by other plugins through extension point
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:37:23 GMT 2024