Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » OSGi/Equinox in a read-only environment?
OSGi/Equinox in a read-only environment? [message #483205] Mon, 31 August 2009 15:00
Kris Schneider is currently offline Kris SchneiderFriend
I'm fairly new to OSGi and Equinox, but I need to determine if we can make use of it as the basis for a new framework project we're starting. The framework may be used in a number of different environments, and one of its requirements is that it be able to run without the ability to write to the filesystem. I've read the OSGi on AppEngine? blog entry and taken a look at the Adaptor Hooks wiki page. While we aren't trying to make this work with AppEngine, some of the sandboxing is similar. This would include disabling the creation of the "configuration" directory that seems to be created upon Equinox startup.

One of the things I don't quite have my head around is what part of the system is responsible for creating the streams that are passed to the StorageHook load and save methods. Even if I create implementations of those methods that are effectively no-ops (does that disable bundle persistence?), some other part of the system has to have created the streams and may have used the filesystem to do it.

It certainly seems like many of the pieces are there to make this work, but I don't have enough experience with Equinox to know all the places I should be looking. So, any feedback, examples or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
Previous Topic:Automatic restart a service
Next Topic:Bought: Equinox and OSGi Rough Cuts: Where is Samples Manager?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 19:04:27 GMT 2024