Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » P2 materializer and profiles
P2 materializer and profiles [message #482664] Thu, 27 August 2009 13:24 Go to next message
Carsten Reckord is currently offline Carsten ReckordFriend
Hi all,

I use the P2 materializer to install additional features into an RCP product. While that works more or less okay, one flaw in that is that
the P2 materializer does not update the profile of my product, and therefore the additional features do not show up in the product's
"Installed Software" (and strangely enough, although they work fine, neither in the "Features" list).

I worked my way through the P2Materializer class, looking for any hint at what's going on and if I understand correctly, it seems that only
a temporary profile in the buckminster runtime is created for materialization and discarded afterwards.

So my question is:

- Would it be possible/feasible to enhance the P2Materializer with the option to update/create a profile in the target platform (and which)?
- or alternatively, is there some p2 magic to update the profile after buckminster is through with the materialization?

Best regards,
Carsten

PS: Thomas, should you read this, you asked me to open a couple of bugzillas
( http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=1271&gr oup=eclipse.tools.buckminster#1271,
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=1255&gr oup=eclipse.tools.buckminster#1255) a few weeks ago. I didn't get around to it at
the time because I was called away from my buckminster work to finish another project. I've seen that some work has been done on properties
in the meantime, so I was wondering if I should still enter those...
Re: P2 materializer and profiles [message #482681 is a reply to message #482664] Thu, 27 August 2009 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Carsten,

On 08/27/2009 03:24 PM, Carsten Reckord wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use the P2 materializer to install additional features into an RCP
> product. While that works more or less okay, one flaw in that is that
> the P2 materializer does not update the profile of my product, and
> therefore the additional features do not show up in the product's
> "Installed Software" (and strangely enough, although they work fine,
> neither in the "Features" list).
>
The P2 materializer is not supposed to 'install' anything. It is used for populating a target platform which isn't
really the same thing as a runtime. We deliberately bypass the install phase and use the collect phase of the P2 engine
since the install phase would discard anything not suitable for the platform (os,ws,arch) described by the profile.

The reason you can make things functional in your product by installing into the same bundle pool as is used by the
runtime is more an accident then a feature. It is not what the P2 materializer was designed to do.

> I worked my way through the P2Materializer class, looking for any hint
> at what's going on and if I understand correctly, it seems that only a
> temporary profile in the buckminster runtime is created for
> materialization and discarded afterwards.
>
> So my question is:
>
> - Would it be possible/feasible to enhance the P2Materializer with the
> option to update/create a profile in the target platform (and which)?
> - or alternatively, is there some p2 magic to update the profile after
> buckminster is through with the materialization?
>
That would require some kind of interaction with the director. I.e. Buckminster would find the features to install and
then tell the director to perform the actual installation. Is that the use-case that you are after?

In general, the director is what you should use if you want to install things into a product. We ship a headless version
of it on our download page. Would that be a solution for you?

>
> Best regards,
> Carsten
>
> PS: Thomas, should you read this, you asked me to open a couple of
> bugzillas
> ( http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=1271&gr oup=eclipse.tools.buckminster#1271,
> http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=1255&gr oup=eclipse.tools.buckminster#1255)
> a few weeks ago. I didn't get around to it at the time because I was
> called away from my buckminster work to finish another project. I've
> seen that some work has been done on properties in the meantime, so I
> was wondering if I should still enter those...

The one concerning the NPE is covered already but I don't think there's a bugzilla about the local reader recognizing
SCM meta-data.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren
Re: P2 materializer and profiles [message #482692 is a reply to message #482681] Thu, 27 August 2009 14:37 Go to previous message
Carsten Reckord is currently offline Carsten ReckordFriend
Hi Thomas,

On 27.08.2009 16:08, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> That would require some kind of interaction with the director. I.e. Buckminster would find the features to install and
> then tell the director to perform the actual installation. Is that the use-case that you are after?

That's exactly the use-case I'm after I think. Our runtime is basically assembled from 3 parts (a bare-bone rcp, the features of our target
platform, and our own features). Since we already have queries, rmaps et. al. in place for all of them for building, creating update-sites
etc., it seemed natural to use those to assemble the runtime, too, instead of setting up separate scripts for the director.

> In general, the director is what you should use if you want to install things into a product. We ship a headless version
> of it on our download page. Would that be a solution for you?

I haven't done that so far, because I didn't want to introduce another tool that isn't without its pitfalls and duplicate a good portion of
the information already existing for buckminster for that.

> The one concerning the NPE is covered already but I don't think there's a bugzilla about the local reader recognizing
> SCM meta-data.

Okay, I'll enter that then.

Regards,
Carsten
Previous Topic:BREE and Buckminster build
Next Topic:buckminster.prebind: no action, group, or local artifact named manifest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:30:25 GMT 2024