Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Browser widget on Linux and native crashes
Browser widget on Linux and native crashes [message #449309] Fri, 21 January 2005 06:29 Go to next message
Benjamin Pasero is currently offline Benjamin PaseroFriend
Messages: 337
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

I dont want to create a bug report on this issue yet, but first discuss the
Browser problem on Linux in this newsgroup.

I am constantly getting error logs from people that try to use Mozilla inside an
SWT application. These logs are huge logfiles generated by the JVM (no Java
exceptions).

They often have Linux distributions installed that are not listed in the FAQ
(like Slackware).

Are there general instructions available for people using any Linux distribution
on how to get Mozilla 1.7 to run inside an SWT application? Is the installed GTK
version somehow important (2+, 2.4 or 2.6)?

At least, would'nt it be possible to somehow avoid the native crash of the JVM
and throw an SWTException in the case the Browser widget is not working?

Ben
Re: Browser widget on Linux and native crashes [message #449319 is a reply to message #449309] Fri, 21 January 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christophe Cornu is currently offline Christophe CornuFriend
Messages: 304
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Benjamin:

You might be referring to former
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=77102#c6
Crashes used to happen frequently when users had an unsupported Mozilla
GTK1.2 build on Linux. This no longer causes a crash starting with SWT 3.1
M4.

SWT FAQ for Linux Browser is here:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-swt-home/faq.html#browserlinux
Mozilla 1.7 requires SWT 3.1 M3 or later. It will not work in SWT 3.0.
Upcoming (maintainance) SWT 3.0.2 will support Mozilla 1.7.

Mozilla.org has recently released 1.7.5 GTK2 build. See
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
Under "Mozilla 1.7.5", Linux (x86) for GTK2 and Xft.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozi lla1.7.5/contrib/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.5-gtk2+xft.ta r.gz
(the other Linux builds are GTK1.2 builds and therefore will not work inside
SWT).

Please open bug reports if you or your users find problems with this latest
version.

Chris
Re: Browser widget on Linux and native crashes [message #449326 is a reply to message #449319] Fri, 21 January 2005 19:38 Go to previous message
Benjamin Pasero is currently offline Benjamin PaseroFriend
Messages: 337
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Christophe Cornu wrote:

>Hi Benjamin:
>
>
Hi Christophe,

>You might be referring to former
>https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=77102#c6
>Crashes used to happen frequently when users had an unsupported Mozilla
>GTK1.2 build on Linux. This no longer causes a crash starting with SWT 3.1
>M4.
>
>
My users are all running SWT 3116, which is 3.1 M4. That is why GTK 1.2 does
not seem to be the problem in these cases.

>SWT FAQ for Linux Browser is here:
> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/plat form-swt-home/faq.html#browserlinux
>Mozilla 1.7 requires SWT 3.1 M3 or later. It will not work in SWT 3.0.
>Upcoming (maintainance) SWT 3.0.2 will support Mozilla 1.7.
>
>
Right, as 3.1 M4 is used I expected Mozilla 1.4 to 1.7 to work. Maybe
the problems are more related to the used
Linux distributions.

>Mozilla.org has recently released 1.7.5 GTK2 build. See
>http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
>Under "Mozilla 1.7.5", Linux (x86) for GTK2 and Xft.
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozi lla1.7.5/contrib/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.5-gtk2+xft.ta r.gz
>(the other Linux builds are GTK1.2 builds and therefore will not work inside
>SWT).
>
>Please open bug reports if you or your users find problems with this latest
>version.
>
>
Ok I will.

Thanks,
ben

>Chris
>
>
>
>
Previous Topic:How do you assign an icon to an ApplicationWindow?
Next Topic:javaw.exe keeps running in Windows
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Nov 11 21:00:12 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02776 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top