Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Table "grid" visible only for rows that actually exist?
Table "grid" visible only for rows that actually exist? [message #445710] Tue, 09 November 2004 20:55 Go to next message
Eddie Galvez is currently offline Eddie GalvezFriend
Messages: 103
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
We're having some trouble appreciating the Table widget. On windows, when
you set the "lines visible" property to true, you indeed get a grid, but
that grid doesn't look very "disabled" to me. We have had users think they
can click and edit rows even when none exist.

Another spin to the same problem is the fact that new rows, well, have no
graphical representation; that is, no border color, no "thicker grid
lines"...

What can I do to avoid confusing users? For now, we are resorting to
select()ing the newly added row (so at least a highlight color goes over the
new row, reassuring users a row has been added).

Thank you,
Eddie
Re: Table "grid" visible only for rows that actually exist? [message #445747 is a reply to message #445710] Wed, 10 November 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Northover is currently offline Steve NorthoverFriend
Messages: 1636
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The table widget is the native table control for the platform. You can see
it in other applications on the desktop. It draws how it draws which is by
definition, the correct look for the platform. Hopefully, your users have
seen native tables in other applications and won't get confused.

"Eddie Galvez" <eddie@streambase.com> wrote in message
news:cmrars$3nb$1@eclipse.org...
> We're having some trouble appreciating the Table widget. On windows, when
> you set the "lines visible" property to true, you indeed get a grid, but
> that grid doesn't look very "disabled" to me. We have had users think they
> can click and edit rows even when none exist.
>
> Another spin to the same problem is the fact that new rows, well, have no
> graphical representation; that is, no border color, no "thicker grid
> lines"...
>
> What can I do to avoid confusing users? For now, we are resorting to
> select()ing the newly added row (so at least a highlight color goes over
the
> new row, reassuring users a row has been added).
>
> Thank you,
> Eddie
>
>
Re: Table "grid" visible only for rows that actually exist? [message #445767 is a reply to message #445747] Wed, 10 November 2004 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eddie Galvez is currently offline Eddie GalvezFriend
Messages: 103
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
What is the proper way to get the columns to set their widths initially
so that all columns cover the entire width of the table (thus the "last
column" won't be visible)? I've seen pack(), which seems to squish the
width to the smallest possible, and I know I can set the widths in
absolute terms, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks,
Eddie

Steve Northover wrote:
> The table widget is the native table control for the platform. You can see
> it in other applications on the desktop. It draws how it draws which is by
> definition, the correct look for the platform. Hopefully, your users have
> seen native tables in other applications and won't get confused.
>
> "Eddie Galvez" <eddie@streambase.com> wrote in message
> news:cmrars$3nb$1@eclipse.org...
>
>>We're having some trouble appreciating the Table widget. On windows, when
>>you set the "lines visible" property to true, you indeed get a grid, but
>>that grid doesn't look very "disabled" to me. We have had users think they
>>can click and edit rows even when none exist.
>>
>>Another spin to the same problem is the fact that new rows, well, have no
>>graphical representation; that is, no border color, no "thicker grid
>>lines"...
>>
>>What can I do to avoid confusing users? For now, we are resorting to
>>select()ing the newly added row (so at least a highlight color goes over
>
> the
>
>>new row, reassuring users a row has been added).
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Eddie
>>
>>
>
>
>
Re: Table "grid" visible only for rows that actually exist? [message #445795 is a reply to message #445767] Thu, 11 November 2004 14:45 Go to previous message
Veronika Irvine is currently offline Veronika IrvineFriend
Messages: 1272
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
See:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.swt.sni ppets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet77.java?rev=HEAD&a mp;content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

"Eddie Galvez" <eddie@streambase.com> wrote in message
news:cmtq57$nha$1@eclipse.org...
> What is the proper way to get the columns to set their widths initially so
> that all columns cover the entire width of the table (thus the "last
> column" won't be visible)? I've seen pack(), which seems to squish the
> width to the smallest possible, and I know I can set the widths in
> absolute terms, but I don't know where to start.
>
> Thanks,
> Eddie
>
> Steve Northover wrote:
>> The table widget is the native table control for the platform. You can
>> see
>> it in other applications on the desktop. It draws how it draws which is
>> by
>> definition, the correct look for the platform. Hopefully, your users
>> have
>> seen native tables in other applications and won't get confused.
>>
>> "Eddie Galvez" <eddie@streambase.com> wrote in message
>> news:cmrars$3nb$1@eclipse.org...
>>
>>>We're having some trouble appreciating the Table widget. On windows, when
>>>you set the "lines visible" property to true, you indeed get a grid, but
>>>that grid doesn't look very "disabled" to me. We have had users think
>>>they
>>>can click and edit rows even when none exist.
>>>
>>>Another spin to the same problem is the fact that new rows, well, have no
>>>graphical representation; that is, no border color, no "thicker grid
>>>lines"...
>>>
>>>What can I do to avoid confusing users? For now, we are resorting to
>>>select()ing the newly added row (so at least a highlight color goes over
>>
>> the
>>
>>>new row, reassuring users a row has been added).
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>Eddie
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
Previous Topic:how to change selection in treeviewer?
Next Topic:Test
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Oct 27 13:54:31 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02464 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top