Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » New to EMF
New to EMF [message #416247] Wed, 23 January 2008 14:42 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: henninbe.stud.ntnu.no

Hi!

I'm new to EMF and is following the tutorial found on the eclipse site:

http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. emf.doc/tutorials/clibmod/clibmod.html

Everything works fine till the point where I'm going to select the package from which to make the model.

"Select the "org.eclipse.example.library" package and click the "Finish" button" (Just before Step 2).

In my case, the package selection dialog is empty, that is; there's no package to select and thus I can't progress with the tutorial.

Anyone experience such a problem or have a ny tips? In that case; it's really appreciated! :)
Re: New to EMF [message #416248 is a reply to message #416247] Wed, 23 January 2008 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
Did you press that nasty "load" button next to the model file in the
wizard?

Felix

> "Select the "org.eclipse.example.library" package and click the "Finish" button" (Just before Step 2).
>
> In my case, the package selection dialog is empty, that is; there's no package to select and thus I can't progress with the tutorial.
Re: New to EMF [message #416250 is a reply to message #416247] Wed, 23 January 2008 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
One thing to check is the Error Log view for internal problems that
might produce only a stack trace in the log. Another mistake folks
might make is to use /* */ rather than /** */ for their brackets, i.e.,
a non-Javadoc comment instead of a Javadoc comment. Check those two
things and if you're still having problems, post back with some more
details, like the stack trace or a snip of one one of the files you are
using in the project...

djepletre wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new to EMF and is following the tutorial found on the eclipse site:
>
> http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. emf.doc/tutorials/clibmod/clibmod.html
>
> Everything works fine till the point where I'm going to select the package from which to make the model.
>
> "Select the "org.eclipse.example.library" package and click the "Finish" button" (Just before Step 2).
>
> In my case, the package selection dialog is empty, that is; there's no package to select and thus I can't progress with the tutorial.
>
>
> Anyone experience such a problem or have a ny tips? In that case; it's really appreciated! :)
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: New to EMF [message #416254 is a reply to message #416247] Wed, 23 January 2008 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Thanks for your suggestions!

I made a new project and copied the files instead of writing them myself (I use the annotated interfaces approach). Still the same problem. The error log can be viewed here:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/hennb/eclipse/view_error_log.png

It looks like a foreign language to me. :)

Also, I installed EMF on my home computer, but when I make a new empty EMF project, the project does not have a src folder and is not consideret a java-project by Eclipse, that is; it's not associated with a jre. I've searched the eclipse site for any "proper" install info, but the approch looked straight forward and "standard". Any suggestions on this? :)
Re: New to EMF [message #416256 is a reply to message #416254] Wed, 23 January 2008 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem you show sounds like something show stopping at the JDT
level. Are you able to create a basic Java project that compiles and
runs? Try to confirm that you can at least get a simple class with a
main that prints hello world to run. Are you sure you've installed EMF
in a matching version of the Eclipse platform? Which version of Eclipse
and EMF do you have installed? Note that if you double click any of
these messages you'll get a stack trace that provides better details.
Given all the errors I see about duplicate features I'm starting to
wonder if you don't just have a completely messed up installation. If
things keep failing it might be best to unzip Eclipse into a brand new
clean folder and unzip your other downloads into that new clean folder
too, i.e., install from scratch in a new location...

djepletre wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions!
>
> I made a new project and copied the files instead of writing them myself (I use the annotated interfaces approach). Still the same problem. The error log can be viewed here:
>
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/hennb/eclipse/view_error_log.png
>
> It looks like a foreign language to me. :)
>
> Also, I installed EMF on my home computer, but when I make a new empty EMF project, the project does not have a src folder and is not consideret a java-project by Eclipse, that is; it's not associated with a jre. I've searched the eclipse site for any "proper" install info, but the approch looked straight forward and "standard". Any suggestions on this? :)
>

Ed Merks
Re: New to EMF [message #416333 is a reply to message #416256] Mon, 28 January 2008 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I can make a standard Java project and run it without problems. Actually, there's two machines I use...

1. Eclipse 3.2 and EMF 2.2 (University computer)

2. Eclipse Europa and EMF 2.3 (Own computer)

- At the first machine I can't follow the tutorial as explained above.

- On machine 2, the EMF project is not even considered a Java project. Hm...you mentioned wrong versions. Maybe I actually should have used EMF 2.4 on machine 2? I just visited the EMF-website again and it may be the case on that machine. I'll try it out. Btw...I've not done the installation of the first machine so it may be an uncorrect installation or so.

Thanks for help!
Re: New to EMF [message #416339 is a reply to message #416333] Mon, 28 January 2008 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just not sure what to say EMF 2.2 should work with Eclipse 3.2 and
EMF 2.3 should work with Eclipse 3.3; lots of people have that working.
And EMF 2.4 should work fine with Eclipse 3.4. EMF 2.3 and 2.4 both
require Java 5.0, but 2.2 should work with Java 1.4.

djepletre wrote:
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> Yes, I can make a standard Java project and run it without problems. Actually, there's two machines I use...
>
> 1. Eclipse 3.2 and EMF 2.2 (University computer)
>
> 2. Eclipse Europa and EMF 2.3 (Own computer)
>
> - At the first machine I can't follow the tutorial as explained above.
>
> - On machine 2, the EMF project is not even considered a Java project. Hm...you mentioned wrong versions. Maybe I actually should have used EMF 2.4 on machine 2? I just visited the EMF-website again and it may be the case on that machine. I'll try it out. Btw...I've not done the installation of the first machine so it may be an uncorrect installation or so.
>
> Thanks for help!
>

Ed Merks
Re: New to EMF [message #416408 is a reply to message #416339] Wed, 30 January 2008 15:58 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

Hm...OK. I'll try to reinstall everything and see if that will work. :)

Thanks!
Previous Topic:ChangeRecorder issue ?
Next Topic:Preserving XML comments during serialization and deserialization of XML document
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:00:25 GMT 2024