Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » eclipse STILL cannot handle c++ "using" directive properly(eclipse STILL cannot handle c++ "using" directive properly)
eclipse STILL cannot handle c++ "using" directive properly [message #1865262] Mon, 29 April 2024 17:13
Kent Dorfman is currently offline Kent DorfmanFriend
the title says it all, and perhaps the post is more of a rant than a request for help since 1) I have no intention of creating an account on github to discuss this, and 2) work-arounds don't impress me. I need to see features languages features work correctly so as to NOT stifle my creative use of the language.

Figured I'd give it a couple of years and upgrade eclipse/cdt to see if their language support had come out of the stone-age, and while I now see options for c++17 and c++20, the support for "using" is still broken. The indexer simply doesn't understand many of the more sophisticated use-cases: quick-n-dirty exposure of a base class but with a new subclassed name (a real bonus when deriving custom exceptions), higher level use of variants with std::visit(), etc.

Every couple of years I come back around to see if eclipse has gotten its act together enough to seriously use it for a project...and I always end up going away disappointed...and end up doing everything manually with a simple text editor, lots of rgrep, and a Makefile.

Now if I could just get embedded vendors to quit being enamored with eclipse plugins for their development platforms. Bleck!

Previous Topic:Disassembly view question
Next Topic:How to Launch IDE for Arduino in Eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 19 15:19:51 GMT 2024