Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse for Java development?(development environment)
Eclipse for Java development? [message #1859055] Tue, 09 May 2023 10:16 Go to next message
kia kranthi is currently offline kia kranthiFriend
Hi everyone, I'm new to Eclipse and I'm having trouble setting up my development environment. What are some best practices for configuring Eclipse for Java development?

I'm currently working on a project in Eclipse and I'm having some issues with debugging. When I try to debug my code, I'm not able to step through it properly. What could be causing this issue and how can I fix it?

I recently updated to the latest version of Eclipse, and since then, some of my plugins are no longer working. How can I troubleshoot this issue and get my plugins working again?

I'm interested in contributing to an open-source project using Eclipse. Can someone guide me on how to get started and what steps I need to take?

I'm currently working on a project with a team using Eclipse, but we're having some issues with version control. What are some best practices for using version control with Eclipse, and how can we prevent conflicts and ensure everyone is working on the latest version of the code?
Re: Eclipse for Java development? [message #1859071 is a reply to message #1859055] Wed, 10 May 2023 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Many people contributing to Eclipse use the automated setup to set up their development environment:

https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#create-an-eclipse-development-environment
https://github.com/eclipse-jdt/.github/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md#create-an-eclipse-development-environment

You'll find helpful information about contributing on those pages, it shows you how other people work, and will enable you to contribute Pull Requests to any of these projects...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse for Java development? [message #1859718 is a reply to message #1859071] Fri, 23 June 2023 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kabiru Usman is currently offline Kabiru UsmanFriend
Just wanna add that for debugging issues, check your breakpoints and debug configurations. If something's off, try resetting them. Plugins may stop working after an update due to compatibility issues. Try reinstalling them, or check if there's an updated version available. Open-source contributions are a great way to learn! Check out the links shared by Ed. They'll guide you on how to contribute via Pull Requests. Lastly, for version control, consistent communication with your team is key. Decide on a branching strategy and stick to it. Using 'git pull' frequently can help avoid conflicts too.
Re: Eclipse for Java development? [message #1861256 is a reply to message #1859718] Mon, 02 October 2023 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack Jones is currently offline Jack JonesFriend
Verify that your plugins are compatible with the version of Eclipse you're using. Some plugins may need updates to work with newer Eclipse versions.
Re: Eclipse for Java development? [message #1862477 is a reply to message #1859055] Wed, 06 December 2023 22:43 Go to previous message
Gregory Carter is currently offline Gregory CarterFriend
In general just some advice:

Eclipse is not a stable IDE and not one for beginners. It is free though! So if you don't like the poor documentation or the frustration of having to use it or eating your projects for lunch occasionally, please consider IntelliJ. I use both and like them both. But I cut my teeth on IntelliJ first then tried Eclipse out, in this case for Java development/App development PrimeFaces. Java EE development is hard enough, fighting with the IDE is even worse. If you are spending more time fighting Eclipse than writing or learning new code (Java for example) consider starting out with IntelliJ.

Some practical advice and pitfalls:

Keep Eclipse Installs of the same version of eclipse handy, in case you need an older version to distribute to other contributors or other people who want to work on a project. Make it a rule that everyone uses the same version and configurations. Do not attempt to patch or change versions in the middle of projects. Unless you have a real bug that is a blocker.

1) Create a Separate install directory for every Eclipse project! I usually have a separate install directory for Eclipse for each project I am working on. I do that so if something blows up the explosion is limited to just that project and not my other Eclipse projects.

For example in my Eclipse Installation Spaces I have:

2023-EclipseSQLConfig
2023-EclipseSQLConfig-Workspace

2021-EclipseWebSiteLogin
2021-EclipseWebSiteLogin-Workspace

...etc...

2) Don't update Eclipse on any given project while you are in a delivery cycle. This keeps issues away. Sometimes there truly are bugs and you have to update. IN that case EVEN THEN I make another install of the Eclipse and freeze the bugged Eclipse, export my project and then load it on the newer patched Eclipse to see if it resolves the bug.

For example:

2023-EclipseSQLConfig-patchtest
2023-EclipseSQLConfig-Workspace-patchtest

3) Work in VM's. If you can and have the memory and horsepower, not too much to ask these days on the quality of laptops we have now. If you don't want to do the 1 and 2 approach, always make a copy of your VM before you begin work for the day, then use that copy for testing patches etc.

I actually use both methods.

Eclipse Don'ts:

1) Pile all sorts of projects into one Eclipse installation. If something should happen to the workspace or config it will prevent access to a lot of work.

2) If you want to keep speed at the maximum you don't want to have all sorts of projects under one Eclipse installation. (See number 1) Just keep one project under one installation directory.

3) Same goes for memory consumption and Eclipse needs a lot. So you might want to redefine the defaults for Eclipse. I use the following for a wide variety of projects and it works just great.

These settings are in a text file called eclipse.ini
-Xms512m
-Xmx16384m

This is for a laptop with 32GB of memory minimum. you can reduce the 16384 down to 8192 for a 16GB memory laptop. You might even get by with 4096 for a 16GB laptop as long as you don't run EE servers like Wildfly EE.

If you have less than 16GB of memory I would not run Eclipse for Java Development on Windows as it can cause problems. Linux will work, as I tried with 4GB once with a nice big swap file. Can't say about MacOS.

Good Luck and Have Fun. Merry Christmas. :-)
Previous Topic:How to import java 8 application on eclipse 2020 (java 15)
Next Topic:export to .jar executable package not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:23:02 GMT 2024