Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » NatTable » Any plans for Web/Theia based NatTable?
Any plans for Web/Theia based NatTable? [message #1857104] Tue, 17 January 2023 16:47 Go to next message
Jonathan Menzies is currently offline Jonathan MenziesFriend
Hey again,

Wasn't sure the best place to ask this so let me know if this is the wrong place.

Are there any plans on moving/creating a version of NatTable that works with Eclipse Theia?

Kind Regards
Jonathan
Re: Any plans for Web/Theia based NatTable? [message #1857110 is a reply to message #1857104] Wed, 18 January 2023 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Short answer: No

Longer answer:
I had plans in the past to at least make the NatTable Core independent of the UI framework and create renderers for other UI frameworks like JavaFX or HTML. This is quite a huge task, and it failed until today because of a lack of time and resources. I would still like to see this in the future, but probably there are some more tasks to do in advance to attract more people that would help with this. Or at least attract someone who would be willing to sponsor such a task.

Anyhow, I don't think this would help in making it available for Theia. The reason is that even making the NatTable Core independent of SWT, it would be still written in Java. Theia is a web-application. That means there are actually no Java background processes by default and everything in the UI should actually be HTML, CSS and Javascript/Typescript. Although possible, introducing a Java background process just for rendering a table doesn't seem to be a good idea. Which actually would mean that the whole codebase would need to be rewritten in Javascript to make it available in a web-application. That is a very huge task, and actually I am not sure if it would be suitable, as the architecture of NatTable is based on Canvas. It means it has all data in memory while only the visible part is rendered. For a web-application that also doesn't make much sense, as it would mean you always need to send all data from a server to a client and then operate on the data there.

From my point of view it doesn't make much sense to have NatTable ported to the web. There are probably already a lot table implementations for the web out there, that are better suited for web scenarios.
Re: Any plans for Web/Theia based NatTable? [message #1857146 is a reply to message #1857110] Thu, 19 January 2023 21:13 Go to previous message
Jonathan Menzies is currently offline Jonathan MenziesFriend
Fair enough! That makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for your response.
Previous Topic:NatTable 2.0.5 released
Next Topic:Formatting numbers in excel export
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:53:34 GMT 2024