Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Discussion on default values of "Configure upstream for push and pull"
Discussion on default values of "Configure upstream for push and pull" [message #1855848] Mon, 07 November 2022 16:58 Go to next message
Rice Bauer is currently offline Rice BauerFriend
Hi there,

I really prefer creating branches via the History view by right-clicking a commit and using the "Create branch..." command.
However, whenever a remote-tracking branch points to that commit, the option "Configure upstream for push and pull" is checked by default and I have to remember unchecking it to prevent the new branch from getting linked to that remote branch.
I've forgotten this a few times and then pushed to the wrong branch.

What is the reason why this option is checked by default in this use case (we're not talking about a checkout use case, where the reason is obivous)?

Cheers
Rice
Re: Discussion on default values of "Configure upstream for push and pull" [message #1856442 is a reply to message #1855848] Fri, 09 December 2022 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
This is done since in order to push a new commit to an upstream branch most git users typically
start a new local branch from this upstream branch's remote tracking branch in their clone in order
to develop this commit.
Re: Discussion on default values of "Configure upstream for push and pull" [message #1856626 is a reply to message #1856442] Mon, 19 December 2022 09:19 Go to previous message
Rice Bauer is currently offline Rice BauerFriend
Hi Matthias,

isn't this the typical "checkout", which has a dedicated context menu entry?
For checkout, I totally agree - this is what you want for a checkout.
But I mean the "Create branch" use case. The same dialog is used in both use cases.
Previous Topic:Wrong file after jgit apply command
Next Topic:Behavior changed when pushing a new branch?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:40:26 GMT 2024