Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » EGit - Windows Share as Remote Repository Over SSH
EGit - Windows Share as Remote Repository Over SSH [message #1855772] Wed, 02 November 2022 13:32 Go to next message
Matt Kluzak is currently offline Matt KluzakFriend
Hello,

I am new to git, and version control in general, and am trying to implement it for my team of three developers. We are the only developers for our agency.

I am trying to make the setup as simple as possible to just get the ball rolling. My plan is that we will use EGIT in Eclipse (Spring Tool Suite), with each person running off a local repository for developing and then pushing to a remote repository on a Windows share. I was planning to use SSH to facilitate push/pull between our work PCs and the Server so that I do not have to do any site setup and it seemed easiest while still having authentication.

I have added EGit to Eclipse on my work PC and followed the process to getting a project shared and having the initial commit on my local repository.

I installed OpenSSH on my Windows 2012R2 server, installed Git on it, and initiated a bare repository inside a folder in the share I wish to use as the remote repository.

Here is my remote repository setup in Eclipse:

URI: ssh://domain\user@server:22/share/git/repositories

Host: server

Repository path: share/git/repositories

Protocol: ssh

Port: 22

Authentication: currently using username and password, will eventually switch to SSH key once I get things working

When I try to run the preview I get the following error:

"Transport Error: Cannot get remote repository refs. 'ssh://domain\user@server:22/share/git/repositories": 'git-upload-pack' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I'd appreciate help and recommendations to getting things going in a basic setup.

Thanks
Re: EGit - Windows Share as Remote Repository Over SSH [message #1855783 is a reply to message #1855772] Thu, 03 November 2022 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Given this is the JDT forum and you are asking about EGit, better to ask on the EGit forum.

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=48

I don't understand how ssh protocol should work with username and password. I think ssh requires using public and private keys while https protocol could use username and password...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: EGit - Windows Share as Remote Repository Over SSH [message #1855798 is a reply to message #1855783] Thu, 03 November 2022 14:52 Go to previous message
Matt Kluzak is currently offline Matt KluzakFriend
I've posted it over there. Could you delete this one?

Thanks
Previous Topic:Latest Eclipse won't import maven project due to tools.jar
Next Topic:New Java Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:25:29 GMT 2024