Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse IDE for Java pointing the wrong version of java
Eclipse IDE for Java pointing the wrong version of java [message #1855665] Wed, 26 October 2022 05:14 Go to next message
Erich Brakenwagen is currently offline Erich BrakenwagenFriend
I currently have this weird problem I have both java JRE 1.8 and java JDK 11 installed on my computer. However, when I try to run Eclipse IDE, it ignores the JDK 11 install and instead looks at the JRE 1.8 install popping up an error message that says it needs version 11. There are only two ways I can get it to run either uninstall JRE 1.8 which I need for other programs to run. Or reinstall Eclipse each time and launch from the installer because for some reason the installer will make Eclipse point to the right install of Java. Is there any way to make Eclipse run with both versions of java installed at the same time? Perhaps a command line that makes Eclipse look in the right folder for java?
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java pointing the wrong version of java [message #1855669 is a reply to message #1855665] Wed, 26 October 2022 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Is there a -vm argument in your eclipse.ini? The installer generally generates that, except when the default JRE is a correct one... E.g., in my eclipse.ini there are two lines (before the -vmargs section) like this:
-vm
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-11.0.13+8/bin

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java pointing the wrong version of java [message #1855687 is a reply to message #1855669] Thu, 27 October 2022 01:06 Go to previous message
Erich Brakenwagen is currently offline Erich BrakenwagenFriend
Ed Merks wrote on Wed, 26 October 2022 08:08
Is there a -vm argument in your eclipse.ini? The installer generally generates that, except when the default JRE is a correct one... E.g., in my eclipse.ini there are two lines (before the -vmargs section) like this:
-vm
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-11.0.13+8/bin

Thanks, those line were not in my eclipse.ini so I added them in and now it works just fine.
Previous Topic:Unable to create Eclipse RCP Application
Next Topic:Is Mac OS Ventura 13.0 compatible with 2021-12 Eclipse IDE for Java Developers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:23:23 GMT 2024