Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Other editor to use for debugging diagram issues(Uml Project: with diagram that is producing errors, is there another editor than the Papyrus core editor to aid in debugging)
Other editor to use for debugging diagram issues [message #1855142] Thu, 29 September 2022 14:35 Go to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
Hi,
Core Question: Is there another editor than Papyrus' core editor, that would give me visibility into the meta data the diagrams have and the 'core' editor uses to display the content?

I searched the Wiki - yet couldn't find a way to help debug an issue I am having.

Background: Generally I export the diagrams I have in Papyrus out, and put into a design document. (I can describe why if you would like). When exporting often the model validation routines will catch diagramming errors. Often these errors produce exceptions in Java with call-stacks, and at times the net result is a diagram content will change (disconnected dependencies, etc). I've been dealing with this for years, yet...

Is there another editor than Papyrus' core editor, that would give me visibility into the meta data the diagrams have and the 'core' editor uses to display the content?

I would like to explore the errors one layer lower, to help me fix the diagram. Some of these diagrams are for products, and while "it's always easier the second time" and I could redraw the diagram - it would helpful to me if I could dive one level lower. I tried going into Model Explorer, though, was trying to understand if there is a layer lower that I could use as well.

Sam

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2022 15:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Other editor to use for debugging diagram issues [message #1855156 is a reply to message #1855142] Thu, 29 September 2022 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
I have been using "Model Explorer" along with Validation to flag the errors/warnings. Then walking through each error using the following steps to fix:

1) open/find element of the same name in Model Explorer in the UML model
2) show property view of the element
3) cross ref to the diagram to identify the drawing anomaly that is causing the error
4) fix the diagram with the "it's always easier the second time" theme of delete and redraw.

This is rather time consuming, but at least I am making forward progress on eliminating the errors.

Is there a better way?
Re: Other editor to use for debugging diagram issues [message #1855295 is a reply to message #1855156] Thu, 06 October 2022 13:23 Go to previous message
Vincent Lorenzo is currently offline Vincent LorenzoFriend
Hello, you can open the Papyrus View 'Model Validation' side by side with the 'Property View' (to avoid having to switch from one view tab to another).
By double-clicking on a validation error it should select the corresponding element in the ModelExplorer. Youwill then need to select this element yourself to display the corresponding Property View.
I agree that Papyrus should provide a better synchronization between ModelExplorer/Model Validation/PropertyView.
The ModelExplorer provides a button called 'Link with Editor' to propagate the selection of the ModelExplorer to the Diagram (and vice-versa).

index.php/fa/42573/0/

HTH,
/Vincent

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2022 13:29]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:2022.06 to 2022.09 update producing model errors
Next Topic:code-to-diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:54:08 GMT 2024