Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Support for Eclipse RCP on MacOS?
Support for Eclipse RCP on MacOS? [message #1854357] Mon, 15 August 2022 21:53 Go to next message
Rob M is currently offline Rob MFriend
I'm running macOS Monterey, both on Intel machines and Apple Silicon.

My problem is that I have had very poor results trying to build a desktop Eclipse RCP application. I have problems on both architectures that are similar, but not identical.

I've sporadically been able to build something very, very simple, but it's not consistent, and even when I get a build, seemingly random problems arise as I'm working, and the application stops working.

The first, most obvious, problem is that Eclipse doesn't seem to correctly pull in the correct dependencies, even when I specifically request it, but I prefer not to get into specifics, because I suspect the situation is hopeless, at least on Mac. And, if an IDE can't automatically handle most dependencies, it would not be viable in most people's opinion anyway.

In fact, I already posted about the inability to compile even a Hello World Eclipse RCP app a few months ago. Someone was kind enough to help, but since that time, I've had so many problems, that it's impractical to continue using Eclipse on Mac. (Why I've continued to use Eclipse at all is another
question ... but not for this post.)

I believe I've tried every Mac version of Eclipse going back almost 10 years. For what it's worth, I currently have the rcp-2022-09-M2 version, the rcp-2022-03 and rcp-2022-06 released versions, and about half a dozen other various versions. All are broken, in somewhat different ways. The least broken, as far as I can tell, is rcp-2022-09-M2.

At one point, I wiped the hard drive of a Mac clean and reinstalled macOS from scratch and then Eclipse. But, Eclipse performed no better in that situation, so I don't think it's my overall setup.

My thought is that perhaps Eclipse isn't well tested or developed on the Mac platform. After all, the lion's share of RCP users are probably at institutions and corporations that don't use Mac a lot. I see a lot of indications that could be the case, but I can't be sure things are better on other platforms. If so, I could acquire a Linux or Windows box to work with, but first I'd like some confirmation that is the case.

Is there anyone who has experience with Eclipse on Mac plus at least one other platform?

Please NOTE: I'm referring specifically to building desktop Eclipse RCP applications (with a UI). Please keep in mind that Eclipse could be working fine for you, if you are building a different kind of application, but that may not be relevant to my situation.
Re: Support for Eclipse RCP on MacOS? [message #1857897 is a reply to message #1854357] Sat, 04 March 2023 23:11 Go to previous message
Larry Edwards is currently offline Larry EdwardsFriend
We've been developing an Eclipse RCP application since roughly 2008. Early on things worked reasonably well. Started running into difficult issues when we moved from Java 1.6 to 1.7. Eventually got that to work. More problems moving from Eclipse 3.x to 4.x... worked through those. I think the last combo where things were working well was Mojave and Eclipse RCP 4.4.2. At some point tried to bundle the JRE with the app... huge struggle on that due to some hardwired paths in Eclipse. We eventually were able to get things working again, but ran into a really obscure low level graphics bug. That eventually just went away (no change in application code) with some combo of macOS and Eclipse versions. However, at that point the Export Wizard stopped working. So that's where we currently are. Haven't been able to create a new release of the app in about 5 years... Runs in the IDE, but that's about it.

It was not our choice to use Eclipse RCP, and it has been a huge time sink. We developed a similar C++ app using Qt and it was a much more productive environment. Also portability across versions and platforms was much better. That same C++ app still runs 20 years later. Only had to recompile it a couple of times during that period.
Previous Topic:Force usage of external browser for help
Next Topic:Restore a workbenchpage with an external memento.xml without closing eclipse 3.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:09:15 GMT 2024