Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » EMF.edit gestString multiple editors & cross references(NullPointerException because "delegateResourceLocators[i]" is null)
EMF.edit gestString multiple editors & cross references [message #1854020] Thu, 28 July 2022 09:46 Go to next message
Eric Jeunieaux is currently offline Eric JeunieauxFriend
Hi,

I'm working on a project that includes several Ecore models that reference each other.

These models are grouped into 3 families; there is one EMF.edit plugin per family.

Dependencies are as follows:
- ModelFamily_1 has no dependency
- ModelFamily_2 depends on ModelsFamily_1
- ModelFamily_3 depends on ModelsFamily_1 and ModelFamily_2

There is one edit plugin for each family (and one editor plugin).
- ModelFamily_1_EditPlugin
- ModelFamily_2_EditPlugin
- ModelFamily_3_EditPlugin

Plugins are generated from the GenModel (no modification to the default generator).

In their constructors, each plugin instantiates a ResourceLocator[] array with a reference to itself and a reference for each of its dependencies.

For the ModelFamily_3_EditPlugin the generated code gives :
ResourceLocator[] = { ModelFamily_3_EditPlugin.INSTANCE, ModelFamily_1_EditPlugin.INSTANCE,  ModelFamily_2_EditPlugin.INSTANCE }

(The following happens using an Eclipse runtime; I have not tested with deployed plugins)

In the treeview default editor, when selecting a ModelFamily_3 element extending a ModelFamily_1 element, the name localization of a feature inherited from the Model1Family element is as:

- 1 - try to localize the key using ModelFamily_3_EditPlugin.INSTANCE as resource locator
- 2 - as the localization is in the plugin.properties from the ModelFamily_1_EditPlugin the step 1 thows a new MissingResourceException
-3 - string localization is then delegated to the delegetResourceLocator using the function delegatedGetString(key, translate)

In memory, the delegated resource locators is [null, ModelFamily_1_EditPlugin@2e3f9d29, ModelFamily_2_EditPlugin@1525f2da]]

The system returns a java.lang.NullPointerException on the next instruction because "delegateResourceLocators[0]" is null

ResourceLocator[] delegateResourceLocators = getDelegateResourceLocators();
    for (int i = 0; i < delegateResourceLocators.length; ++i) {
        try {
            return delegateResourceLocators[i].getString(key, translate);
        }
      catch (MissingResourceException exception)  {
        // Ignore this since we will throw an exception when all else fails.
      }
    }

When I remove ModelFamily_3_EditPlugin.INSTANCE from the resource locator array of the ModelFamily_3_EditPlugin, the problem disappears
ResourceLocator[] = { ModelFamily_1_EditPlugin.INSTANCE, ModelFamily_2_EditPlugin.INSTANCE }

There is certainly a reason but why add a reference to the plugin in the delegation as it is already used as primary resource locator ?

public ResourceLocator getPluginResourceLocator() {
        return plugin;
    }

And according to the answer, how to avoid this null pointer exception ?

Thanks

Re: EMF.edit gestString multiple editors & cross references [message #1854021 is a reply to message #1854020] Thu, 28 July 2022 10:09 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't expect that result. What's generated is determined by this:
  public List<String> getEditResourceDelegateImportedPluginClassNames()
  {
    List<String> result = new UniqueEList<String>();
    for (GenPackage genPackage : getUsedGenPackages())
    {
      GenModel genModel = genPackage.getGenModel();
      if (genModel.hasEditSupport())
      {
        result.add(genModel.getImportedName(genModel.getQualifiedEditPluginClassName()));
      }
    }
    return result;
  }
So it would appear that your GenPackage is also among its own used GenPackages.

Is each of these in a separate GenModel? Is each GenModel in a separate project? There's no circularity between the pacakages?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:[CDO] Performance issues while migrating to java 11 ?
Next Topic:Fomratting won't work correctly when save xtext resource programmatically AbstractFormatter2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:42:27 GMT 2024