Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » SysML model instantiation doubt(Is it possible to instantiate SysML models in Papyrus?)
SysML model instantiation doubt [message #1853320] Mon, 27 June 2022 18:03 Go to next message
Sergio Benavent is currently offline Sergio BenaventFriend
Hello everyone,

I have little experience using SysML inPapyrus, and have run into a problem. I am working with Papyrus 2020-03 (4.15), modeling a basic manufacturing system with SysML1.4. I have defined all the constructions (elements, relations, etc.) and I have created several diagrams. Now I would like to instantiate this model to assign specific values to the attributes, parameters, etc., and run an analysis of the instantiated objects. I can't find the way to do that, so here are my questions:

Can someone confirm if it can be done? Does SysML allow instantiation of a model? Does Papyrus support it or should I use other tools? If it is not possible, can I define an executable analysis or simulation model based on my SysML model? Any other proposal?

To better understand my doubt, I have found a video showing something similar to what I want, but this example has been developed in Cameo:
"www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLaKUOlgDjU"

Any guidance on this topic would be of great help to me.
Thank you!

Sergio Benavent
Re: SysML model instantiation doubt [message #1853342 is a reply to message #1853320] Tue, 28 June 2022 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Sergio,

according to my discussions with Tim Weilkiens on SysML all SysML does not distingish between classifiers and instances, consequently all SysML elements are instances. That story aside, I come from UML and distinguish between classifiers and instances.

Papyrus implements SYSML as an UML Profile, consequently when using SysML with Papyrus you have full access to the UML expressive power.

UML features InstanceSprecifications as notion for instances of classifiers. Beside blocks (classes) also actor or even artefact is supported.

So create InstanceSpecifications drag'n'drop the classifier from the ModelExplorer to the InstanceSpecification box within the diagram, open the context menu on the box and choose via filter what to show within the box.

So far for the UML way.

SysML feature the notion of parametric diagram. Never used them so far.

That's the intended SysML way.

But real world engineering is mainly document based. Consequently in most cases parameter values are specified as textual requirements like "The supply voltage shall be 12V, +-5%".

That's the real world solution ;-)

/Carsten

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2022 15:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SysML model instantiation doubt [message #1853422 is a reply to message #1853342] Fri, 01 July 2022 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sergio Benavent is currently offline Sergio BenaventFriend
Dear Mr Pitz,

First of all, thank you very much for your answer. It has been of great help.

However, I'm still confused that you can't distinguish between classifiers and instances. My goal is to transform a SysML model of a concrete system into an executable simulation model. During the transformation, in addition to the classifiers, it is necessary to use the concrete instances (objects) with their specific values (slots), and not treat this information only as comments or annotations (document-based engineering). I will be exploring this line of work and would appreciate sharing future discussions with you.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Sergio
Re: SysML model instantiation doubt [message #1853428 is a reply to message #1853422] Fri, 01 July 2022 13:28 Go to previous message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Sergio,

unlike i.e. fUML supported by Eclipse Papyrus via Moka or xtUML supported by BridgePoint/xtUML the SysML specification does not deal with the aspect of executing models at all.

Nevertheless plain vanilla Eclipse Papyrus can provide all information required to build a simulation within a SysML model. But, the transformation is up to you.

The ability of NoMagic Cameo to simulate SysML models is a proprietary feature not backed by the SysML specification. CIL4Sys provides similar simulation features based on Papyrus UML models. Maybe @Yoann Farré can elaborate on CIL4Sys.

/Carsten

PS the list of links
fUML (https://www.omg.org/spec/FUML/)
Moka (https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/papyrus-moka)
xtUML (https://xtuml.org/)
CIL4Sys (https://www.cil4sys.com/)
Previous Topic:[C++ Code Build] Can the generated code be built with VCXX compiler?
Next Topic:Cannot import Spring State Machine UML example into Papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:32:58 GMT 2024