Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment
Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853249] Fri, 24 June 2022 08:40 Go to next message
Alfredo Aldundi is currently offline Alfredo AldundiFriend
For various reasons, I am contemplating about moving our existing Eclipse based Xtext setup into a Web based setup. The road seems to be pretty much clear to me (LSP + Theia + Eclipse Che). However, before I embark on this daunting road, I'd like to understand some more about the limitations.

This is what we do today:

• set of 4 Xtext DSLs
  • integrated with Java (just references to types and operations)
  • builder that generates an EMF model from the DSL model
  • dependencies specified using Gradle (project dependencies are required)
  • JUnit tests written in Java requiring test framework dependency and built EMF model
  • tests should be runnable in the workspace (but not necessarily directly in the IDE but at least from the Terminal)

Today in Eclipse we heavily rely on the build path.

My question is: can this setup be realistically moved to Eclipse Che + Theia? What are the blockers? If this is not realistic: are there parts I could replace / rework to make this more realistic?
Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853250 is a reply to message #1853249] Fri, 24 June 2022 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Xtext Web and Lsp are two different things Xtext Lsp4j misses full Xbase support

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2022 08:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853251 is a reply to message #1853250] Fri, 24 June 2022 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which parts are missing? our grammar only uses "org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XType" + the formatter has a dependency on org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.formatting2.XTypeFormatter (which comes from the grammar reference, I guess).
Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853252 is a reply to message #1853251] Fri, 24 June 2022 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is no magic that reads projects and populates the classpath, same for references to .java files.
=> you would need to "hardcode" the classpath

Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853253 is a reply to message #1853252] Fri, 24 June 2022 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ouch! this is bad.
Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853254 is a reply to message #1853253] Fri, 24 June 2022 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course you can also try if you can get Xtext.java (see Xtext-extras) running with your language server

Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853263 is a reply to message #1853254] Fri, 24 June 2022 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have scared me enough :-). From your short answers I get that this is pretty much "experimental" stuff. However much I would like to have a web IDE for our use case, I think this is not feasible for us.
Re: Limitations of Xtext in a Web environment [message #1853264 is a reply to message #1853263] Fri, 24 June 2022 13:22 Go to previous message
It always depends on the exact usecase
As long there is no demand or contribution
No one will work on it

Previous Topic:Move Eobject from one container to another container in EMF
Next Topic:XtextLinkingDiagnostic: null:39 Couldn't resolve reference to JvmType 'Generator'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:27:49 GMT 2024