Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases(Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases - when open from Search result view)
Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1852910] Fri, 10 June 2022 12:20 Go to next message
Pavol Sestak is currently offline Pavol SestakFriend
Here is simple scenario how to reproduce it:
Let's have some java project and in it somewhere in directories have some jasper template file (*.jrxml). When invoke search: menu Search->File...
put on File Search tab some text to search that I know is definitely in some jrxml files in my project and file name pattern set to *.jrxml.
Then in search result in Search view on right click in context menu choose "Open with -> Text editor" , not system editor - just simple text editor in Eclipse.
And that's it - link between text editor and Project Explorer view doesn't work.
Of course toggle button "Link with Editor" is on.
BUT! when the very same file is open through right click on context menu in Project Explorer view then the Editor<->Project Explorer link works.
The point is opening the file from the results in Search view. Then the link Editor<->Project Explorer doesn't work.

The same problem discovered when opening file via dialog Open Resource:
Ctrl-Shift-R, then type the resource name we are looking for, e.g. *.jrxml.
Then in this Open Resource dialog clicked on bottom button
Open With -> Text Editor.
File is open in text editor, but the link Editor<->Project Explorer doesn't work.
Seems line the link works only when the originator of open file command is
Project Explorer or Package Explorer. When the originator is Search view or Open Resource dialog, link doesn't work.

Tested on
Version: 2021-12 (4.22.0)
Build id: 20211202-1639.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2022 12:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1862836 is a reply to message #1852910] Sun, 31 December 2023 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ecdragon Mising name is currently offline ecdragon Mising nameFriend
I am seeing this issue as well! With versions 2023-09 and 2023-12 at least.
Seems that whenever I do a "refresh" on a project in Project Explorer, it loses all links to open editors. Same with the "Collapse All" button in Project Explorer.
A link from PE to the open file in editor can be re-established by just finding the file in PE and double-clicking it, even if it's open already and in focus. You can then navigate around and it'll keep focus on it when going back to that file in the editor.
Once the link between open file editor and that file in PE is broken, there's no way to get it back except as above (find file in PE and open from there again). I tried toggling the "Link with Editor" button, and using the "Show in -> Project Explorer", which can be found in the menu and in breadcrumbs menu...
Re: Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1862839 is a reply to message #1862836] Mon, 01 January 2024 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I can't reproduce such a problem. I suggest opening an issue with the exact steps needed to reproduce the problem:

https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.ui/issues

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1862843 is a reply to message #1862839] Mon, 01 January 2024 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick response Ed!

I'm pretty sure I figured it out... it's the PyDev plugin that's interfering!

I'm starting with JEE base... then I do a bunch of customizations, checking after each one... and right after I added PyDev just now, it triggered it.

I'm going to do another fresh copy of JEE and just add PyDev and see if it triggers it.

Cheers!
Re: Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1862844 is a reply to message #1862843] Mon, 01 January 2024 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also it's worth noting I'm on an M1 Mac.

...just did another test. Fresh JEE, installed ONLY PyDev, restarted.

Created DynamicWebProject.
Created some folders at top-level of project.
Created text files in those folders.

At this point, linking still works fine for those text files!

Created a Java package
Created a Java class in that package.

Now, linking is broken with Java class files.
But linking is still working with text files!

[Updated on: Mon, 01 January 2024 18:48]

Re: Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1862845 is a reply to message #1862844] Mon, 01 January 2024 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I'm wondering it uninstalling PyDev from an Eclipse installation will re-enable Java class file linking.

Glorious!! Yes uninstalling PyDev fixes linking of Java files. Glad I figured it out.

Looks like Fabian is the lead for that plugin... What's the best way to let him / them know?

[Updated on: Mon, 01 January 2024 20:52]

Re: Link Text editor and Project Explorer doesn't work in some cases [message #1862848 is a reply to message #1862845] Tue, 02 January 2024 09:28 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I can only point you at. I know each time I tried to find a support link there is takes me a long time to find it again...

https://www.pydev.org/

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Birt runtime 4.2.2, reports including charts not working on RHEL8
Next Topic:windowbuilder not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:55:27 GMT 2024