Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Can the algorithms in FB written in Java?(I am wondering if the algorithms can be written in Java rather ST or C++?)
Can the algorithms in FB written in Java? [message #1852551] Mon, 23 May 2022 13:32 Go to next message
Hanyuan Li is currently offline Hanyuan LiFriend
Hi,

My name is Hanyuan, I am a TA of a course related to IEC 61499 FBs. We used to use FBDK and it supports Java:) We are more interested in 4DIAC and I am wondering if we can write algorithms in java and compile them using 4DIAC?
If we can not, is there any suggestions on how we could do to make 4DIAC support java algorithms.
Thank you very much!

Best,
Hanyuan
Re: Can the algorithms in FB written in Java? [message #1852572 is a reply to message #1852551] Tue, 24 May 2022 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi,

I think the biggest problem is that we currently have no code generators for Java. So if you want to use Java in algorithms you also need to define an exporter. Or would you like to use 4diac IDE for developing FBs and use FBDK as code generator?

Cheers,
Alois
Re: Can the algorithms in FB written in Java? [message #1852580 is a reply to message #1852572] Tue, 24 May 2022 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hanyuan Li is currently offline Hanyuan LiFriend
Hi,
Thank you very much! BTW, I am interested in integrating other compilers like FBC ( the compiler for synchronous FBs developed by Li Hsien Yoong and Partha Roop ) into 4DIAC. This FBC compiler was written in Java and it will compile FBs into C code or Esterel. After compilation, I would like to run it using 4DIAC. Do you think it would be feasible? I am also not sure how to bridge the FBC compiler with the 4DIAC IDE.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,
Hanyuan
Re: Can the algorithms in FB written in Java? [message #1852581 is a reply to message #1852580] Tue, 24 May 2022 18:59 Go to previous message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi,

This would definitely be an interesting project. In 4diac IDE we have so called Eclipse extension points which you can use to hook code generators into our platform. If you do that your code generator would automatically be listed as target in our Export dialog. Other options would be that you write your on plugin for the 4diac IDE following the Eclipse guidlines for plugins. Here you have more flexibility and you can add your own menu entries dialogs, etc. So yes this should definitely be feasible.

One thing that you should be aware of is that we have and are currently still strongly extending our IEC 61131-3 support. On the development branch we are nearly feature complete with all IEC 61131-3 ST features possible in IEC 61499. Not sure of the FBC compiler would support all of this. But if you limit your test FBs for starting to the features support by FBC you should be fine.

I would be happy to here more about your progress. We also happy to support you. Because in the end this is one of the reasons we are providing Eclipse 4diac: that people can do their test and experiments with IEC 61499.

Cheers,
Alois
Previous Topic:Cross compiling FORTE + OPC-UA lib to raspberry from Windows
Next Topic:Is the ROS module updated ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:55:32 GMT 2024