Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Open Papyrus read only?(Papyrus)
Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852337] Wed, 11 May 2022 08:31 Go to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Is there a way to open a model within Papyrus read only?
/Carsten
Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852369 is a reply to message #1852337] Thu, 12 May 2022 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yoann Farré is currently offline Yoann FarréFriend
Hi,
I'm not aware of the answer but I'm interested too if you find a solution.
Yoann.
Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852371 is a reply to message #1852369] Thu, 12 May 2022 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincent Lorenzo is currently offline Vincent LorenzoFriend
hello,
I think we don't provide a way to open a model in read-only.

/Vincent
Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852373 is a reply to message #1852371] Thu, 12 May 2022 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many thanks Vincent for your answer. Call it "review mode" and you have a reasoning to implement it. And yes, I would find such a mode handy to review a model ;-)

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852376 is a reply to message #1852373] Thu, 12 May 2022 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You might try to just cripple the EMF transaction to prohibit mutation, but I suspect that there are many lazy mutations, not least of which is compilation of embedded OCL, that would go wrong as part of a 'read-only' activity such as Validate..

Easiest for the user to mark the source file read-only (or for the tooling to do the equivalent).

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852382 is a reply to message #1852376] Fri, 13 May 2022 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Ed for the late answer.

My use case simply is to enable human reviewers to review the model without to alter it by chance.

An IMHO handy way to achieve this, is to generate a document (via GenDoc, M2Doc or Model2Doc) and let them review the generated document. This also enables to generate stakeholder specific documents.

But the reviewers want to review the model directly within Papyrus. In this case it is no mistrust. The reviewers just want to also learn Papyrus.

/Carsten
Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852383 is a reply to message #1852382] Fri, 13 May 2022 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I appreciate the use case and certainly agree that extra obfuscating abstractions/transformations can be dangerous.

I was just highlighting the difficulties especially wrt lazy 'mutations'. Providing a 'Review' mode could be a significant undertaking if the 'correct' approach is taken of only allowing non-mutating commands on the command stack. But what is a prohibited mutation?. Perhaps as part of my review I would like to change the diagram layout to be clearer from my particular review perspective. I might even like to create a new/variant diagram. Maybe I want to add a couple of OCL constraints to assess some hypothesis about a predicted or observed behavior.

The more I think about it, the harder it gets. Ultimately I think read-only should only be enforced as a cannot save functionality for which a good deep SaveAs can rescue the changes. When in review mode perhaps popups can remind the user that changes will not be saved, until the user hits the don't annoy me again checkbox.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Open Papyrus read only? [message #1852389 is a reply to message #1852383] Fri, 13 May 2022 14:12 Go to previous message
Hi Ed,
your thinking, I think sometimes is too elaborate. Allowing no change at all would be sufficient.
And yes, the solution you, as far I get it think of is a much more versatile gold-plated solution decorated with diamonds.
And yes, your solution would be great to have ;-)
/Carsten
Previous Topic:Restrictions for Simple data type
Next Topic:parser Sysml1.6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:56:46 GMT 2024