Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse vs IntellIj idea
Eclipse vs IntellIj idea [message #1851738] Thu, 14 April 2022 10:05 Go to next message
Drakgoku cpl is currently offline Drakgoku cplFriend
You should read this from here.

https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/5106558224274-60-sec-to-create-a-primitive-project-with-ERROR

Do you know why people use Intellij? I'll summarize it for you in a 15-second GitHub post.
https://github.com/dracula/eclipse/issues/9

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1844370/#msg_1844370

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2022 10:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse vs IntellIj idea [message #1853877 is a reply to message #1851738] Wed, 20 July 2022 22:05 Go to previous message
Nathan Niesen is currently offline Nathan NiesenFriend
Another reason people use IntelliJ IDEA is because Eclipse is not a viable IDE for projects with mixed JVM languages (Java, Groovy, Kotlin, Scala).

Don't get me wrong, I love Eclipse and have been using it since dumping IntelliJ 20+ years ago. I like that I can have over a 100 library, service, and multi-module projects open and the IDE still functions.

The problem is that we don't get to dictate the languages used for all our projects. Many of our projects have mixed languages; e.g., Java or Kotlin main and Groovy tests or Kotlin in one module and Java in another. With the flood-gates open, Kotlin is increasingly being added to the mix.

I haven't been able to get JDT, GDT, and Kotlin to coexist since Eclipse 2020-06 (4.16) and even with that version the Kotlin editor doesn't function. The Kotlin plugin has always been incomplete, buggy, and prone to causing JDT issues. The GDT plugin has to patch the JDT because apparently the JDT or Language Server teams aren't willing to make the necessary accommodations to avoid said patching. That likely causes even more issues for other plugins attempting to interface with the JDT.

Eclipse needs to own the JVM Language modules/plugins if it wants to remain viable as a JVM language IDE. Now that Kotlin has quite a bit of traction, it's pretty clear that IntelliJ doesn't care about creating a Kotlin plug-in to compete with their own IDE. Oracle doesn't provide the Java module. Apache doesn't provide the Groovy module. Why should IntelliJ provide the Kotlin module? So far, Eclipse has been lucky to have the reasonably well maintained Groovy Development Toolkit.

So for now, Eclipse is untenable as an IDE for mixed JVM language environments and much to my dismay I must move along to other pastures; no matter how brown and dreary they may be.
Previous Topic:HelloWorld SWT application
Next Topic:Is it safe to remove jdk/jmods of open-jdk for a sandboxed-with-JDK Eclipse RCP application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:25:04 GMT 2024