Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Easy way to reflect log4j server configuration changes in Eclipse(Eclipse seems to cache Tomcat's configuration, including log4j. Looking for an easy way to refresh it.)
Easy way to reflect log4j server configuration changes in Eclipse [message #1850977] Wed, 23 March 2022 18:55 Go to next message
Bruno Melloni is currently offline Bruno MelloniFriend
Java 17, Tomcat 9, Eclipse 2021.12. But this has been an issue for many years, and it seems to apply to any configuration, not just log4j.

Details:

- I have the instance of Tomcat that I use with Eclipse configured to use log4j, including the file tomcat/log4j2/conf/log4j2-tomcat.xml.
- When I first setup Eclipse to use that instance of Tomcat (in preferences/server/runtimeEnvironment it picks up the configuration just fine (for log4j and anything else).
- As I code, I tend to update log4j2-tomcat.xml to silence packages/classes that were originally at debug level as once trusted I no longer need the debug info so I set the corresponding configuration to info.

And here comes the problem.
- It seems that Eclipse caches the old configuration. So those changes are not reflected when Eclipse launches a webapp.
- I ***CAN*** make Eclipse notice the changes if I completely remove Tomcat from Eclipse and then add it back in from scratch. Needless to say that is extremely cumbersome, as it is something I'd want to do often.

QUESTION:
- Is there an easier way to tell Eclipse to completely refresh its server configuration cache so that it reflects the actual server configuration?

I assume the answer is yes, and that I've just never come across it. Thanks in advance for the help.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2022 18:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Easy way to reflect log4j server configuration changes in Eclipse [message #1869045 is a reply to message #1850977] Tue, 30 July 2024 13:18 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Where does the config file in question live, in the Tomcat installation, or in the server instance's folder in the Servers project?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:How to add multiple configure tags supporting different providers in jetty-ssl-context.xml
Next Topic:SQL file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 26 00:05:20 GMT 2024