Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch
One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849645] Thu, 27 January 2022 15:40 Go to next message
Rico Hahn is currently offline Rico HahnFriend
Hey guys!

I'm doing the one day tutorial at the moment but unfortunately I'm stuck at the point "What have we achieved?".
Sorry in advance I'm pretty new to Eclipse Scout and did not do much programming in the last years since my studies. So my questions might be pretty "basic".

So what I have already done is that I made the customizations to the initally created project that were described under the headline "Setting up the Initial Project".

Unfortunately, when I want to start the applications and open the localhost URL I get the following 404 error.

index.php/fa/41591/0/

Besides that the servers seem to start just fine as there are no error messages in the console. I wonder if the problem occurs because of the version is 22 which as far as i know is in a beta status.
So I wonder why new Eclipse Scout Projects are automatically created in Version 22 and if there is a possbility to create the One Day Tutorial with IntelliJ using Eclipse Scout in Version 11?

My setup:
Scout-Version: 22
JDK: corretto-11.0.14
IDE: IntelliJ 2021.3.1 (Community Edition)
Node: 16.13.2
pnpm: 6.28.0

Steps I have taken:
- the hello scout tutorial works just fine (but it is also version 22?!)
- i tried to the start the application from the start without the code customizations to be sure that I didn't make any mistakes. However, the result is the same
- i tried to use Eclipse instead of IntelliJ, but there I can't even start the HelloScout application. It stops with 63 %. This problem is already described here on the forum (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1109904&goto=1849440&#msg_1849440) and in the latest stack overflow question with the label eclipse scout (unfortunately i can't paste the links here because I'm a newbie to the forum). The author also has the question why a new Eclipse Scout Project is created in Version 22.

Thank you very much for help in advance!

Best regards,
Rico
  • Attachment: Error404.jpg
    (Size: 21.52KB, Downloaded 473 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2022 09:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849748 is a reply to message #1849645] Tue, 01 February 2022 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
Hi Rico

Sorry that you had trouble getting the 'one day tutorial' working.

Does it work if you just create a new project without applying any modification? E.g. if you try to start the application right after project creation?

According to you steps taken it does not seem to work (same 404 error)?
But the 'hello scout tutorial' works just fine? So what is the difference between the 'hello scout tutorial' and a plain new project created for the 'one day tutorial'?
Sorry, but I try to understand the steps you have taken :)

Kind regards & thanks for clarifying
Mat
Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849749 is a reply to message #1849748] Tue, 01 February 2022 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mat,

At first, thank you very much for taking time and trying to understand my problem.

The difference is the aritifact id when creating the new project which in my understanding creates another base project structure. The "Hello Scout" tutorial uses the artifact "helloscout" which creates a very basic project structure.
The one day tutorial uses the artifact id "contacts". The created project structure is much bigger and more complex.

See this image where the artifact id is seen when creating the project.

https://eclipsescout.github.io/11.0/images/sdk_new_project_tutorial.png

Unfortunately, when I don't apply any modifications I also get the same 404 error.

Best regards,
Rico
Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849751 is a reply to message #1849749] Tue, 01 February 2022 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rico

That's interesting. Because for both the very same template is used to create the project. Only the names should be different.

So did I understand it right that if you choose "helloscout" as artifact Id it works and if you choose "contacts" its broken?

Thanks for clarifying
Mat
Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849752 is a reply to message #1849751] Tue, 01 February 2022 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mat,

Awesome! You brought me to my mistake! It wasn't clear to me that the template was the same. What I missed in my contacts example was this step:

index.php/fa/41613/0/

I'm using community version of IntelliJ and it wasn't clear to me that these two steps have to be done for every new project. So my project was missing the entire "node_modules" folder and therefore it didn't work.

Pretty much a rookie mistake, I guess!

It works now just fine! Thanks again, Mat!

Best regards,
Rico
  • Attachment: step.jpg
    (Size: 96.05KB, Downloaded 375 times)
Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849753 is a reply to message #1849752] Tue, 01 February 2022 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rico

Ah ok, glad to hear :)

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Yes, you are right. The JavaScript dependencies are required for each project (they are not global). Basically they could be different for each project (e.g. using scout 10 for one and using Scout 11 for another project). So for each project you have to execute pnpm-install and the watcher.

And you are also right about the project structure: It's the same for both projects. Actually the structure only depends on the user interface programming language you choose. If you choose Java you get another layout than for JavaScript & JSON.

Kind regards
Mat

[Updated on: Tue, 01 February 2022 12:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849758 is a reply to message #1849753] Tue, 01 February 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mat,

thanks for the additional information! This helps a rookie like me understanding this stuff. Maybe you also have the answer to my other question:
Is it possible for me to create a scout 11 project instead of scout 22? I can't find a way to differentiate between these versions.

Thanks again for your help! :)

Best regards,
Rico
Re: One Day Tutorial stuck on first Launch [message #1849759 is a reply to message #1849758] Tue, 01 February 2022 13:22 Go to previous message
Hi Rico

Within IntelliJ or Eclipse you cannot choose the version at the moment. Currently always the latest version available is used.
However this is something we want to improve in the future so that you can select the Scout version directly in the wizards (this task is currently work in progress).

For the moment you could only create the project on the command line (using a corresponding maven command) and afterwards importing the created project manually into your IDE.

Kind regards
Mat
Previous Topic:DISPLAY_STYLE_BENCH
Next Topic:Question About build.cmd
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:04:01 GMT 2024