Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository(4diac IDE is not updating from the Available Updates link)
Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848660] Mon, 13 December 2021 07:48 Go to next message
Barry Dowdeswell is currently offline Barry DowdeswellFriend
Hi,

I am running 4diac 1.14.0 on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. The Available Updates window says that the location of the latest version is at org.eclipse.fordiac.ide.product. It says the newest version is 2.0.0.202110141943

However, when I run that update it reports that the repository cannot be found.

I have not modified this location since 1.14.0 was installed so the link came from the installer package. What is the correct way to configure automatic updates?

Thank you.

Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848662 is a reply to message #1848660] Mon, 13 December 2021 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi Barry,

unfortunately the update mechanism is not always stable. We could so far not figure out what we are doing wrong here. So what you are doing is totally right.

What you can try to fix it is to remove the update site from the available software site. You can do this by going to Window->Preferences-> Install/Update->Available Software Sites

There remove everything, add a new update site: https://download.eclipse.org/4diac/updates/latest
Close 4diac IDE, restart it and then check for updates from the help menu. I hope this fixes your update problem.
Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848686 is a reply to message #1848662] Tue, 14 December 2021 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Alois - I'll try that.

I am having so much fun this summer with a post-graduate research student Fan Yang who I am teaching 4diac to. She is helping me with a IEC 61499-based avionics project that is very interesting. Associate Professor Roopak Sinha is sponsoring it. I'll send you some information about it once we have it all up and running with the hardware.
Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848702 is a reply to message #1848686] Tue, 14 December 2021 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'm happy to hear that. Would you be interested in writing a guest blog post on that or any other topic for the 4diac news section?
Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848722 is a reply to message #1848702] Wed, 15 December 2021 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely - we would enjoy writing a blog post. I would be happy to submit a draft to you of the blog entry for the news section. Is a Word-format document OK?

The avionics project is an exploration of how feasible it is to create IEC 61499 applications with 4diac that could satisfy the D0-178C Safety-Critical Airworthiness criteria. That will end up as a journal article next year, but an early news blog post would be an ideal way to publicize the work in-advance.

We also have a small tutorial Fan and I have been writing for students in our lab. It details how to build a simple Alarm Clock app in 4diac. Just two function blocks but it is designed to walk through the whole process from creating a custom block, using library blocks, through the configuration of the CMake, compiling and then deployment and debugging. It is designed to complement the examples on the current 4diac site like the LED Flasher, etc.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2021 01:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848743 is a reply to message #1848722] Wed, 15 December 2021 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks a lot. This would be great. Word is fine. I would turn this into the html/php needed for the web page. But if you like the web-page is in git you can also directly add there and push it to our gerrit review system.

Also the other topics are very interesting. I'm thinking how we could make other people aware of your tutorials (if that is ok for you). Maybe a link collection page or something would be nice.

BTW we are also collected papers people have written using eclipse 4diac. Our vision is something like a 4diac use in research page with paper references and links to them. What do you think?
Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848744 is a reply to message #1848743] Wed, 15 December 2021 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Alois,

That is interesting. Post-Doctoral, I am concentrating on IEC 61499 applications with an emphasis on machine control. So, lots of work on sensors and actuator control. As part of my thesis, I created a Heating Ventilation and Air-Conditioning Room Controller in 4diac and got it running on a Pi. That opened up a lot of work on Linux sensor drivers. I have a rough tutorial draft that I need to polish that shows how to control a DS18B20 temperature sensor with 4diac. That could be useful for anyone beginning to use IX/QX function blocks on a Pi. Using a sensor with a well-developed Linux driver (mounted with modprobe) makes the integration with the SIFBs a lot easier since the algorithms simply become reads of the symbolic link files the sensor controls.

Fan and I will tidy up those documents and get them to you after Christmas.

Have a great holiday break.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2021 20:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Location of Linux 4diac IDE update repository [message #1848843 is a reply to message #1848744] Mon, 20 December 2021 20:12 Go to previous message

this looks really nice. Now you got me curios. Looking forward to that after Christmas!

All the best and also have a great holiday break.
Previous Topic:lua51.dll not recognized
Next Topic:Set up the Communication Between Both Devices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:15:06 GMT 2024