Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Content Assist Lag when typing a new object.(A question post to ask whether the lag is fixable.)
Content Assist Lag when typing a new object. [message #1848188] Wed, 24 November 2021 13:47 Go to next message
Christian Arcadio is currently offline Christian ArcadioFriend
Hi. On my installation, Eclipse lags every time I try to code a new object using Content Assist. I couldn't get any info regarding this, so I figured I would post something in here.

I posted a video file below to demonstrate this.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2021 04:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Content Assist Lag when typing a new object with [message #1848192 is a reply to message #1848188] Wed, 24 November 2021 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I regularly see something similar though I haven't yet deviated from my development to extract a repro.

It seems to occur after after I've done some kind of refactor that introduces tens of errors. Each select/paste to correct one of the errors sends JDT off into lala land. I suspect that the errors cause quadratic or worse parsing problems. This latter theory is perhaps confirmed by the failure of context assist at "$" for "x.get$" until it is changed to "x.get$;" so that the ";" gives the parsing a chance to recover. I'm sure this was not a problem 5 years ago.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Content Assist Lag when typing a new object with [message #1848208 is a reply to message #1848192] Thu, 25 November 2021 04:51 Go to previous message
Christian Arcadio is currently offline Christian ArcadioFriend
Hi.

It occurs on my install even after a fresh Eclipse installation with a new workspace.

Additionally, it seems that the lag kind of depends on the JRE used. I say this because between fresh projects using a different JRE on creation, content assist is noticeably slower on a project using Java8 JRE than on a project using Java16 JRE. Although, content assist still takes about ~10secs minimum when typing a new object with `new ...ObjectName`.
Previous Topic:Unable to find the resource: /META-INF/BenchmarkList
Next Topic:Maven version reference for build.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 08:59:20 GMT 2024