Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Use IBD together with AD
Use IBD together with AD [message #1848098] Fri, 19 November 2021 16:06 Go to next message
Alberto Debiasi is currently offline Alberto DebiasiFriend
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way in Papyrus to use the Internal Block Diagram (IBD) to model the structural part of the system, together with the Activity Diagram (AD) to model its behavior.

In particular, is there a way to mention the elements created in the IBD (for example the subcomponents and their ports) in the AD?

Thanks.
Alberto
Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848115 is a reply to message #1848098] Sun, 21 November 2021 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Alberto,
Eclipse Papyrus implements SysML 1.4 and 1.6. Neither SysML 1.4 nor 1.6 supports notations in the IBD to be used in AD or vice versa. Consequently Eclipse Papyrus does not support it.
But you can define the behaviour described by an AD on a port of a Block defined in a BDD. This port may also be shown on Part elements typed by a Block element in an IBD.
I attached a sample model on how I use BDD, IBD and AD.
/Carsten
Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848132 is a reply to message #1848115] Mon, 22 November 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Carsten for your reply.

I have a couple of questions:
- For each component, all the ports are instances of the component itself. Why?
- It seems that the input/output parameters of the activity diagram don't have any interaction with the other components of the system. It that right?

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2021 11:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848133 is a reply to message #1848132] Mon, 22 November 2021 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alberto,

> For each component, all the ports are instances of the component itself. Why?

In my example the <<full>> ports are typed by the <<Block>> element containing the ports. Consequently the <<full>> ports represent the owning <<Block>>.

> It seems that the input/output parameters of the activity diagram doesn't have any interaction with the other components of the system. It that right?

Yes, this is true. UML/SysML defines no methods to achieve this. Yeah, UML/SysML can be very much improved.
But you might circumvent this by a model-to-model transformation.

/Carsten
Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848139 is a reply to message #1848133] Mon, 22 November 2021 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it reasonable to have one activity diagram for each component to describe their behaviors (as alternative to state machines)?

If so, how should be represented the information flow from one component to another? As you mentioned, flow ports are not designed for this.
Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848142 is a reply to message #1848139] Mon, 22 November 2021 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As you already mentioned, what activity diagrams and state machines express is almost identical. I highly suggest you to choose whatever your stakeholders are most convenient with. Your stakeholders have to understand your work.

Yeah, flow ports got officially deprecated with SysML 1.3, but ItemFlow is not. I use ItemFlow elements to express what is exchanged between Part elements. An ItemFlow can "convey" an arbitrary number of information items (in my example the Interface IDrvCtrl).

The SysML 1.6 specification defines

9.3.1.5 ItemFlow
An ItemFlow describes the flow of items across a connector or an association. The notation of an item flow is a
black arrowhead on the connector or association. The arrowhead is towards the target element. For an item flow
with an item property, the label shows the name and type of the item property (in name: type format). Otherwise
the item flow is labeled with the name of the classifier of the conveyed items. When several item flows having
the same direction are represented, only one triangle is shown, and the list of item flows, separated by a comma
is presented.
Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848149 is a reply to message #1848142] Mon, 22 November 2021 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. Very last question:
How the ItemFlow is used (read or written) inside the activity diagram?
Re: Use IBD together with AD [message #1848150 is a reply to message #1848149] Mon, 22 November 2021 15:12 Go to previous message
The IBD as the BDD defines structure, static structure, a template. An ItemFlow is also a template, purely static.
An AD as a SM is about behavior.

UML and with it SysML 1.x is no holistic approach. It is a mere unconnected collection of 4 notations
* The "Booch method", from Grady Booch of Rational Software,
* OMT (Object Modeling Technique), from Jim Rumbaugh at General Electric,
* OOSE (Object-Oriented Software Engineering), from Ivar Jacobson at Ericsson,
and
* state machines, from David Harel.

Even UML2 is a unconnected collection of methods. You feel it, I feel it. But, I think even though it is the best we have ;-)

/Carsten
Previous Topic: Why can't the stereotypes I defined in UML profile be used
Next Topic:Usability issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:02:14 GMT 2024