Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » How to solve this ambiguity problem
How to solve this ambiguity problem [message #1844775] Fri, 24 September 2021 16:28 Go to next message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Hi,

I don't understand why i get the following ambiguity error for the minimal grammer posted below:
error(202): ../org.xtext.example.mydsl/src-gen/org/xtext/example/mydsl/parser/antlr/internal/InternalMyDsl.g:286:3: the decision cannot distinguish between alternative(s) 1,2 for input such as "RULE_ID EOF EOF"

Minimal Grammar for my problem:

grammar org.xtext.example.mydsl.MyDsl with org.eclipse.xtext.common.Terminals

generate myDsl "http://www.xtext.org/example/mydsl/MyDsl"

Model:
	(elements+=Enumeration)*
;

Enumeration:
	{Enumeration}
	'Enumeration' name=ID '{' 
		(encoding=Encoding)
	'}'
;

Encoding:
	{Encoding}
	Annotations
	name=ID 
;

fragment Annotations *:
	(annotations+=Annotation)*
;
Annotation:
	{Annotation}
	'@'(name=ID)?
;

The problem is that the name of the Annotation-rule is optional (after the @-character). I assume the parser has a problem when trying to parse something like:
Enumeration ABC {
    @
    MyEncoding
}

In this example, the ID "MyEncoding" could either be the name of the annotation or the name of the encoding. Is there any way to tell the parser that is is supposed to be the name of the encoding? I tried Syntactic predicates but without success. I also tried to forbid any Hidden Terminal Symbols between the add character and the name, also without success.

Any ideas?

Re: How to solve this ambiguity problem [message #1844776 is a reply to message #1844775] Fri, 24 September 2021 16:39 Go to previous message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Well, after writing all this up I found a solution that works for me. Here is it for reference:

Annotation hidden():
	{Annotation}
	'@'(name=ID | WS)
;

Basically I forbid all whitespaces in the annotation rule unless when the name is omitted. The parser then understands that the annotation is complete if there is a whitespace after the @.
Previous Topic:How to stop the validation programmatically for dsl project
Next Topic:Best Practise for autocompletion during syntax errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:19:28 GMT 2024