Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Updating setup files from Nexus hosting
Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1844497] Wed, 15 September 2021 08:55 Go to next message
Sascha Zur is currently offline Sascha ZurFriend
Hi everyone,

I have a question if I am doing something wrong or if my planned goal is really not possible.

We want to use Oomph/Eclipse Installer in our company to install Eclipse and plugins in different variants. This is already working but to do that, I created my own index for Products or Project, because there are some specialties for us.
Everything (all setup files) are stored on an internal Nexus and there ist a redirection in the ini file to that.
Now I wanted to update something (in the configuration) in the setup files and was hoping there is a way that everyones setup files automatically update also. I read that there is a disadvantage in hosting my own index but I am thinking that maybe I did something wrong in the whole setup.
So, is there a way to deploy the setup files (and only showing the projects/products for our installation) on the nexus but also be able to update once changing the setup files on the nexus?

Thanks in advance :)
Sascha
Re: Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1844507 is a reply to message #1844497] Wed, 15 September 2021 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I would normally expect the URL used to access the index would always be checked for updates upon startup, and if there are updates, they would be downloaded and used. That's how it normally works...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1844540 is a reply to message #1844507] Thu, 16 September 2021 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

thanks for your answer. So it should be possible :)
In the eclipse.ini there are the following entries:
-Doomph.update.url=http://download.eclipse.org/oomph/updates/milestone/latest
-Doomph.redirection.index.redirection=index:/->*urlToNexusRepository*/setups/
-Doomph.redirection.index.location.redirection=http://git.eclipse.org/c/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph.git/plain/setups/->*urlToNexusRepository*/setups/
-Doomph.setup=true
-Doomph.redirection.projects=index:/redirectable.projects.setup->*urlToNexusRepository*/setups/self.projectcatalog.setup
-Doomph.redirection.products=index:/redirectable.products.setup->*urlToNexusRepository*/setups/self.productcatalog.setup

is this the correct way?
In the setups folder there lies an org.eclipse.setup file and the project/product setup files, as well as some mote setups which I linked with <product href="self.product.setup#/"/>
Could it be, that the linking is a problem for updates?

Thanks and regards
Sascha
Re: Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1844545 is a reply to message #1844540] Thu, 16 September 2021 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks fine...

In the IDE set up as you show above, use Navigate -> Open Setup -> Parent Models -> Catalog Index Eclipse. That should open your version of org.eclipse.setup in the Setup Editor. Use the toolbar button "Show all resources" to show all the resources in the resource set. This will be the entire index. Double click on any resource to see its properties, i.e., the resource's Resolved URI. This is the URL from which the resource is actually loaded. If the resource at that URL changes, that IDE will eventually see those changes.

You can use Window -> Preferences -> Oomph -> Remote Resources -> Refresh Remote Resources... to force the IDE to reload the resources for their URLs.

The cache itself is maintained in ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/cache so you can monitor this to see what's all being loaded. The file names should make it clear from which URL it's cached. Note that each *.etag file is the etag from the server when the cached resource was last loaded and is used to determine if the corresponding *.setup needs to be fetched from the server or is up-to-date...

Ed Merks
Re: Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1844706 is a reply to message #1844545] Wed, 22 September 2021 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help. I think the problem was something with caching, after hitting the Refresh Remote Resources button, everything worked fine. I hope this applies for my colleagues also :)
Re: Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1852728 is a reply to message #1844497] Thu, 02 June 2022 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi everyone,

I have a followup question to the things above. So we released some new setup files for my colleagues including an update of the eclipse Version (updated the p2 manager to the 2022-03 version).
For most of the colleagues this works fine, but some have a strange behaviour. It seems, the setup files were updated (in the Navigation I can see the updated files) but when clicking on perform setup tasks, there is no update of the p2 manager shown. When its working, there was always this p2 update and after executing and restarting it was on the 2022-03 version.

I can't find any logs or errors/warnings that are shown, it is just missing.
Other updates I added in the new setup files were executed and are done properly (e.g. some configuration updates).
Is there something I can do about this?

Kind regards,
Sascha

[Updated on: Thu, 02 June 2022 11:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Updating setup files from Nexus hosting [message #1852741 is a reply to message #1852728] Thu, 02 June 2022 13:52 Go to previous message
Sorry, it's really hard to guess what could be going on. If you completely clear the cache folder ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/cache and restart the IDE does the problem still occur? Where could it possibly be using/finding an older version?

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:How to add a mirror to Oomph?
Next Topic:P2Util.addedTrustedKeys null pointer launching runtime-App
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:08:42 GMT 2024