Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Can't type quotation marks with Mac international keyboard layout
Can't type quotation marks with Mac international keyboard layout [message #1844262] Tue, 07 September 2021 13:17 Go to next message
Carl Witt is currently offline Carl WittFriend
The KNIME analytics platform is an open source application based on Eclipse. Since we updated to 2021-03, our users on Mac OS have problems when using the international keyboard layout.

The international keyboard layout allows users to enter special characters by first pressing the quotation mark key and then pressing another key. For example,
a) typing " and then a inserts the character ä.
b) typing " and then ⎵ (space bar) inserts just a quotation mark

Prior to our Eclipse update, this worked as expected. Now, only example b) will work, while example a) will insert just a blank space character.

I've tried several things:
√ example a) works when using plain javax.swing
√ example a) works in the Eclipse IDE itself (dialogs and editors)
√ example a) works when I run a basic SWT snippet from the IDE [1]
X example a) does not work when I run our product as an Eclipse Application from the Eclipse IDE (or build and deploy it)

Is someone aware of changes in the 2021-03 update that could have changed behavior?
If this is worth a ticket, could I get a hint under which Eclipse project to file the bug report?

Additional info: I've observed that the java.awt.event.KeyEvent objects generated when typing on the keyboard differ between before the 2021-03 update and after. The same sequence of keys pressed on the keyboard would previously result in the following (working) event sequence:

[KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=16,keyText=⇧,keyChar=Undefined keyChar,modifiers=⇧,extModifiers=⇧,keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_LEFT,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x10]
[KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=222,keyText=',keyChar='"',modifiers=⇧,extModifiers=⇧,keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_STANDARD,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x98]
[KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=16,keyText=⇧,keyChar=Undefined keyChar,keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_LEFT,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x10]
[KEY_TYPED,keyCode=0,keyText=Unknown keyCode: 0x0,keyChar='"',keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_UNKNOWN,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x0]
[KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=32,keyText=␣,keyChar=' ',keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_STANDARD,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x20]

Now, the following event sequence is produced, which does not work:
[KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=16,keyText=⇧,keyChar=Undefined keyChar,modifiers=⇧,extModifiers=⇧,keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_LEFT,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x10]
[KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=222,keyText=',keyChar=Undefined keyChar,modifiers=⇧,extModifiers=⇧,keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_STANDARD,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0xde]
[KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=16,keyText=⇧,keyChar=Undefined keyChar,keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_LEFT,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x10]
[KEY_PRESSED,keyCode=32,keyText=␣,keyChar=' ',keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_STANDARD,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x20]
[KEY_TYPED,keyCode=0,keyText=Unknown keyCode: 0x0,keyChar=' ',keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_UNKNOWN,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x20]
[KEY_RELEASED,keyCode=32,keyText=␣,keyChar=' ',keyLocation=KEY_LOCATION_STANDARD,rawCode=0,primaryLevelUnicode=0,scancode=0,extendedKeyCode=0x20]

Note how previously the second key press (the quotation mark key) was listed as extended key code 0x98 while the same key on the keyboard is now listed with extended key code 0xde.

This is my first post,
thanks for any pointers.

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.swt.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.swt.snippets/src/org/eclipse/swt/snippets/Snippet337.java
Re: Can't type quotation marks with Mac international keyboard layout [message #1844499 is a reply to message #1844262] Wed, 15 September 2021 09:19 Go to previous message
Carl Witt is currently offline Carl WittFriend
I've been looking further for the source of the problem and filed this as an SWT bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=575995
Previous Topic:Can't find library-file in eclipse-test-framework-4.8
Next Topic:Unable to generate resolutions for marker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:39:54 GMT 2024