Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Inconsistent behavior for "drag and drop"
Inconsistent behavior for "drag and drop" [message #1842285] Tue, 15 June 2021 13:17 Go to next message
don don2 is currently offline don don2Friend
I have a C/C++ project in eclipse which until recently I was working on using a native Linux OS. drag and drop of files(form Linux directory GUI explorer) into the eclipse project used to work just fine.

My new setup is more complicated I am using a Linux virtual machine(via VirtualBox) with eclipse and the directory where the project is located is a "shared folder" between the windows 10 host machine and the virtual Linux machine guest.

There are a few senarius(all start from launching new instance of eclipse) :
1. I try to drag and drop a file from the Linux virtual machine GUI directory explore. This does not work and I get a red "disallowed" icon next to my mouse cursor when dragging the file.
2. Using the right click on the directory(I wish to drag the file into )and using the import->file system... route. This does work and files are imported(only when I am clicking the advanced option and checking the "Create links in workspace" and once I did this once I can drag and drop files without any issues and without the red "disallowed" icon next to my mouse cursor.
3. By dragging from windows host OS into the Linux guest virtual machine directly into eclipse GUI. This option is undefined behavior. It alternates between 3 variations randomly .

• "disallowed icon" - same as when dragging from within the Linux virtual machine directory explore GUI.
  • "copy icon with no result" - The action is allowed but nothing happens and no file is added to the project.
  • "copy icon with the desired result" - file is added to the project and once this happens I am able to drag and drop additional files.

Once I relaunch eclipse the "drag and drop" behavior is reset and I am unable to use it until I "trigger" it by one of the methods described in this post.

I would really appreciate assistance with this issue because I prefer to avoid the "workarounds" I am currently using.
Re: Inconsistent behavior for "drag and drop" [message #1842308 is a reply to message #1842285] Wed, 16 June 2021 08:21 Go to previous message
don don2 is currently offline don don2Friend
Update:
I was able to zoom in on the issue I am having.

One more difference between my previous(native Linux) setup and the current setup(Linux as a virtual machine) is the Linux distribution. When using the native setup, when using the drag and drop I get a prompt that is able to identify what type of folder I drag the file into("normal folder", "linked folder" and "virtual folder") and based on that suggest me options on how to drop the file. I don't get this prompt(getting the "disallowed icon" next to the mouse cursor) when using a virtual machine setup as previously mentioned,.

The Native setup is Ubuntu while the virtual machine setup is Lubuntu(picked to conserve resources). I am going to test the third setup with Ubuntu virtual machine and see if I am able to get the prompt there.

Previous Topic:Editor underlines string_view as error
Next Topic:Program g++ and gcc NOT FOUND In PATH!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:16:32 GMT 2024