Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » NatTable » Create a tree dynamically with NatTable (NatTable tree without GlazedLists)
Create a tree dynamically with NatTable [message #1842284] Tue, 15 June 2021 12:35 Go to next message
Laksono Adhianto is currently offline Laksono AdhiantoFriend
I have a huge tree data structure and I don't want to load all the data into the memory. Loading data dynamically is possible with JFace's TreeViewer but due to scalability issues (especially on Linux/GTK) we plan to move to NatTable.

However, it seems NatTable creates a tree from a flat list and not from a tree structure (according to Drk Fauth https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1066327/) which requires loading all data into memory. 

The question: Is it possible to create a tree dynamically with NatTable? 
Perhaps without using GlazedLists? There was a discussion to use NatTable without GlazedLists in https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/695642/ but I don't see any progress or examples. 
Re: Create a tree dynamically with NatTable [message #1842289 is a reply to message #1842284] Tue, 15 June 2021 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
There are examples for trees without GlazedLists. Have a look at our example application.

And yes typically a tree is built from a flat list. But at the end you have a tree model. In which way you implement it is your responsibility. I know from users that even created a tree row model that actually loads data from a database on demand. But that is commercial and not open source.

So to answer your question, yes it is possible, No there are no examples for such extended use cases.

And we now also have the HierarchicalTreeLayer that actually operates on a tree structure internally. But that one also uses GlazedLists. Just to give you an idea that many things are possible with NatTable. It is only not everything included in the framework and you need to to extended things yourself.
Re: Create a tree dynamically with NatTable [message #1842300 is a reply to message #1842289] Tue, 15 June 2021 23:33 Go to previous message
Laksono Adhianto is currently offline Laksono AdhiantoFriend
Dirk, thanks for the quick reply and thanks a lot for the suggestions!
Previous Topic:NatTable 2.0.1 released
Next Topic:Is Nattable Java 11 compatible ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:27:50 GMT 2024