Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » EclipseLink 3.0 post-upgrade performance degradation
EclipseLink 3.0 post-upgrade performance degradation [message #1838475] Thu, 25 February 2021 20:37 Go to next message
Mark Durant is currently offline Mark DurantFriend
Hi all,
After upgrading EclipseLink 2.6.4 to 3.0, my team and I are seeing a significant performance hit that we're having trouble pinning down. We tried backing up to 2.7.7 and found no problem, but then the flip back to 3.0 showed it again.

As a simple example, persisting a new entity would take ~1s in the 2.x flavors, but ~20s in 3.0. The target table being persisted to has only a few hundred rows, but the entity itself does have a one-to-many relationship to children, and a many-to-one relationship to a parent (it's basically part of a tree of entities) ... and both parent and children have similar relationships to other entities. It's a fairly complex tree, but again, nothing that's ever given us trouble in previous releases.

At first we noticed that our static weaving wasn't happening during builds (the StaticWeaveAntTask behavior seems to have changed), which seemed like the obvious culprit, but even after fixing that and getting StaticWeave to do the correct work for us directly, the performance didn't improve.

In dev environments, too, where weaving isn't part of the equation, we see the same poor performance.

I added FINE logging, and saw that that one basic persist call was executing 6 statements total against the target table in 2.6.4, but 16 in 3.0. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that, but thought maybe something in caching had changed that we need to account for...?

Looking through docs and release notes, nothing jumps out at me as a clear root cause going from 2.7.7 to 3.0, and I'm not seeing similar reports in these forums or elsewhere online.

That's all brought me to here, at the end of my list of things to try. :) What else might I be missing, or what other information could I either provide here or look into elsewhere that would help us to nail this one down?

Regards,
Mark
Re: EclipseLink 3.0 post-upgrade performance degradation [message #1838498 is a reply to message #1838475] Fri, 26 February 2021 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
One persist call causing 6 statements going to 16 is a big change - can you detail the statements and the model involved? Might be better to simplify a small test case for debugging to make comparisons a bit easier.
Re: EclipseLink 3.0 post-upgrade performance degradation [message #1838673 is a reply to message #1838498] Wed, 03 March 2021 12:31 Go to previous message
Mark Durant is currently offline Mark DurantFriend
Thanks for your reply, Chris.

I took the approach of pulling only EclipseLink 3.0 and dependent libraries out of our main project, along with the full set of our entity classes, and testing that in isolation. The performance there was good. I'm guessing now that there's some conflict with one of our project's many, many third-party libraries.

At this point, as much as I'd love to get to the root cause here, I've found that 2.7.8 suits all of our purposes for upgrading, and its performance is exactly as expected; so we're going to punt on 3.0 for now.

Regards,
Mark
Previous Topic: [bug] MOXy @XmlNullPolicy not working with enums
Next Topic:IllegalStateException, unknown connection on second transaction in request on JBoss EAP 7.3 server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:33:16 GMT 2024