Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Xtext integration with GMF
Xtext integration with GMF [message #1838383] Tue, 23 February 2021 20:37
John Henbergs is currently offline John HenbergsFriend
Hi all,

I was interested to know if any of you has worked before regarding the integration Xtext-Sirius and Xtext-Papyrus.

I have tried implementing both these integrations, but I am still a bit confused regarding how they work together. To go a bit more into details:

Xtext - Sirius integration

In order to be integrate Xtext with Sirius, I have defined a DSL with Xtext, created a textual model, and then imported the ecore model generated from Xtext into Sirius and after creating the graphical representations for each element in the .odesign file, everything would work perfectly fine.

But how do they really work? Does it have anything to do with AST? Xtext generated an AST and Sirius makes the changes to that AST, which are later on reflected on the textual model and vice versa? Do you have an idea about that?

Xtext - Papyrus integration

In order to integrate Xtext with Papyrus, I define a DSL in Xtext and create a textual model. Afterwards I define a similar DSL in Papyrus and create a graphical model. Afterwards, I use a transformation language such as QVTo or Epsilon, to synchronize these two.

How does it work in this case? So where is the difference between Sirius and Papyrus in this case? What happens in the background that in the first case I do not need model transformations while in the second yes?
With the Xtext-Sirius integration are they both using the Xtext resource, while with Xtext- Papyrus integration they are using the Xtext resource and Papyrus resource and that is why they need model transformation?

And a final question is what do you understand with XText - GMF integration? How would that work?

If someone has a more detailed information regarding this topic, you would be very helpful.

Note: By integration I mean being able to edit the model via both editors and the synchronisation to be on the fly and not upon saving.

Thank you in advance!

[Updated on: Tue, 23 February 2021 21:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:generate code in python or javascript/typescript
Next Topic:Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:42:32 GMT 2024