Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Control handles offset from controls in WindowBuilder(Adding controls to a window places the control away from its handles)
Control handles offset from controls in WindowBuilder [message #1837783] Sat, 06 February 2021 10:27 Go to next message
Doug Hutcheson is currently offline Doug HutchesonFriend
Newly installed Eclipse For Java Developers 2020/12.

Teaching myself WindowBuilder.

When I add a control to a window, the control handles are vertically displaced a considerable distance below the control in question. This happens with every control I have tried. See attached screen captures.

I am evaluating four different IDEs: Eclipse, NetBeans, Qt and Android Studio. The problem only appears with Eclipse.

It will be very hard to build a complex UI this way. Obviously something is wrong and it could well be a setting I have missed, being a new user of Eclipse.

If anyone can point me to a solution I will owe her or him a virtual beer / coffee / back rub ...

Fedora 33 Linux, Gnome 3.x, X window manager, Core i7, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb disk.
Re: Control handles offset from controls in WindowBuilder [message #1837788 is a reply to message #1837783] Sat, 06 February 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Garratt is currently offline David GarrattFriend
What layout are you using. In my project, I use "absolute" which will no doubt make some of the purists cringe. Also have a look at the layers in the class structure - I add my objects to a DesktopPane and I use the Metal Look and Feel on my Mac

Re: Control handles offset from controls in WindowBuilder [message #1837795 is a reply to message #1837783] Sat, 06 February 2021 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Garratt is currently offline David GarrattFriend
When it comes to generating a complex gui - have a look at my project which was created using Eclipse and WindowBuilder Pro

https://www.commander4j.com
Re: Control handles offset from controls in WindowBuilder [message #1837796 is a reply to message #1837795] Sun, 07 February 2021 02:20 Go to previous message
Doug Hutcheson is currently offline Doug HutchesonFriend
Hi David.

Thanks for your replies. Your level of complexity is what I expect to be able to achieve, so it is frustrating that control placement is such an issue.

The problem exists in all layouts and all control families.

I have lodged it as a bug at bugzilla, but I am confident it is not a bug but rather a setting I have missed somewhere. It will be interesting to see what the good folks over there come up with. :)
Previous Topic:Newly installed 2020/12 for Java - WindowBuilder not working
Next Topic:Locked Components moving Windowbuilder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:10:41 GMT 2024