Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » OCL » Missing Javadoc(The Javadoc for several packages are missing but jar file is in plugins folder)
Missing Javadoc [message #1837378] Thu, 28 January 2021 22:28 Go to next message
Melissa Douthit is currently offline Melissa DouthitFriend
I am fairly new to Eclipse and EMF, so I'm posting on this forum because I ran into this problem while trying to put together OCL code validation. The problem is that I am trying to test OCL validation code, but I am having a hard time getting Eclipse to recognize elements of the pivot jar file. It says that there is no Javadoc for these imports:
import org.eclipse.ocl.pivot.internal.utilities.PivotEnvironmentFactory;
import org.eclipse.ocl.pivot.resource.BasicProjectManager;
import org.eclipse.ocl.pivot.validation.ComposedEValidator;
import org.eclipse.ocl.xtext.completeocl.validation.CompleteOCLEObjectValidator;

Yet the jar files for these are in the plugins folder. I'm not sure why Eclipse can't find the Javadoc (src) for them. I've tried setting the source and url for them in the build path, but it doesn't work. I'm using Eclipse Modeling Tools. Can someone point me in the right direction to help solve this problem?

I've attached a few screenshots to show the problem.
Re: Missing Javadoc [message #1837386 is a reply to message #1837378] Fri, 29 January 2021 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You haven't shown the configuration.log; just the (almost useless) branding images of a 6 release out of date installation, so I cannot tell what you have actually installed.

Most projects publish an xxx_vvv.jar with the compiled functionality and an xxx.source_vvv.jar with the extra sources for those who need them.

In the past the features that did/did not include sources were a hostorical pragmatism. With the advent of the Maven-based Tycho builds many projects now provide an "XXX" feature without sources and an "XXX Developer Resources" feature with sources.

My best guess is that you installed a "XXX" feature rather than an "XXX Developer Resources" feature.

You can just go back to the Help->Install New Software... pages and install the Developer Resources.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Missing Javadoc [message #1837387 is a reply to message #1837386] Fri, 29 January 2021 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where can I find the configuration log you need to see? Are you referring to the log in the installation details?

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2021 06:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Missing Javadoc [message #1837389 is a reply to message #1837386] Fri, 29 January 2021 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing I need to explain is that I have inherited this project from an employee who left the company. I did not choose this version of Eclipse Modeling Tools. I am working with what I've been given, trying to improve this project.
Re: Missing Javadoc [message #1837393 is a reply to message #1837389] Fri, 29 January 2021 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Help->About Eclipse SDK->Installation Details->Configuration

Picking up someone else's work is often very frustrating. What they did may often seem magic/mad. You want to get on to the next problem, but instead you have unpleasant choices now
- abandon the project
- rewrite your way
- learn how the existing way works
- employ someone else to learn how the existing way works

Abandon is probably not an option, so you need to take a very realistic view of the true costs and many advantages of rewriting your way versus the probably huge delays and risks in doing so.

Once you recognize that learning is the least bad option you have to accept an initially very frustrating maintenance role in which you will spend 99% of your time studying Eclipse/'your' code and just 1% writing better code.

Eclipse Modeling Tools have tremendous power but sadly the lack of coherent investment leaves many rough edges. There is no mechanism by which many companies that exploit the tools for free can contribute to their quality.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Missing Javadoc [message #1837401 is a reply to message #1837393] Fri, 29 January 2021 11:21 Go to previous message
Hello again Ed,

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. You are very right that inheriting someone else's work is challenging. I do believe this is an Eclipse configuration problem and not an OCL problem. I created my own test project using the same ocl validation code and was able to get it configured and working just fine. The problem occurs when I try to configure and use the code in the existing project that my company gave me. I have a few ideas how to fix it. But if I run into a wall, I will come back here and give you the configuration log and see if there is anything you can spot.

Thanks again!

Melissa
Previous Topic:Get the query result from OCL Java API in the format of XText OCL result
Next Topic:Generate Java code for generic classes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:45:47 GMT 2024