Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse 2020-12 : How do you run programs in an external console? (Running programs in an external console, notably in a Windows platform)
Eclipse 2020-12 : How do you run programs in an external console? [message #1836292] Mon, 28 December 2020 13:40 Go to next message
Christian Arcadio is currently offline Christian ArcadioFriend
From my research, I found a way from StackExchange (Eclipse CDT - how to run compiled .exe in external console) on how to accomplish this but it seems this no longer works in the Eclipse 2020-12 version. I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable knows how to do this.

I would like to do it in a way that pressing Run would launch the program in an external console (CMD in Windows). Yes, I am aware of a similar feature in Debug but I was wondering if the same is possible in Run since Debug pauses the program once even with Skip All Breakpoints enabled.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 : How do you run programs in an external console? [message #1836307 is a reply to message #1836292] Mon, 28 December 2020 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
The way I do it is to use the Terminal View.
But then, this is just opening and viewing an external console from within Eclipse.
The output appears in the Terminal View window vs the Eclipse Console.
It's possible to have multiple terminal tabs

Alternatively, you can run bash or cmd.exe (whichever is applicable) in the Run Launcher.
I just did this with echo using bash and the output appeared in the Eclipse console.

Frankly, outside of running with a single click, I don't see much difference.
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 : How do you run programs in an external console? [message #1836337 is a reply to message #1836307] Tue, 29 December 2020 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Arcadio is currently offline Christian ArcadioFriend
David Vavra wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 20:43
Alternatively, you can run bash or cmd.exe (whichever is applicable) in the Run Launcher.
I just did this with echo using bash and the output appeared in the Eclipse console.

I don't quite get how to do this with a cmd. I'm quite new to terminals so I don't know what commands to run or what search engine terms I need to search with.

David Vavra wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 20:43
Frankly, outside of running with a single click, I don't see much difference.

The code given needs to utilize certain features that the built-in terminal doesn't support.
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 : How do you run programs in an external console? [message #1836357 is a reply to message #1836337] Wed, 30 December 2020 03:58 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
I misread what you are trying to do.
If you are running Windows (which it seems) then this may help:
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/898966/
I don't have Windows so I can't try it.

If you are running Linux then you need to launch a desktop terminal.
What that is depends on the desktop.

If you are merely trying to get ANSI support, you can get it from the Marketplace.
Search for "ansi" or "ANSI Escape in Console".
Adds interpreting ANSI sequences in the Eclipse Console.
It can be toggle enabled and disabled
The terminal view (TM Terminal in Marketplace) emulates a VT100.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 December 2020 03:59]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Binary must be specified ERROR
Next Topic:Eclipse Helios IDE Editor displaying Japanese characters as junk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:28:25 GMT 2024