Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Headless CDT build in docker, is it broken ?(Is it possible to do headless cdt build in docker containers)
Headless CDT build in docker, is it broken ? [message #1835875] Tue, 15 December 2020 15:18 Go to next message
Peter Schou is currently offline Peter SchouFriend
Im using Eclipse 2020-03 to build and develop an application that is going to run on different cpu architechtures. Environment and libs for each cpu architechture are installed in docker containers. I have the 'Eclipse Docker Container Launch support' installed and I use the 'Build inside Image' feature.
Building project works beatifully from IDE. Build spins up a docker container and execute build as expected.

For CI and nightly build I try to use eclipse headless build. However running headless it seems that eclipse does NOT build inside the docker image. Build execute but fails because actual build runs on host, which do not have includes and libs that are present in the docker image.

Is this a known bug or has anyone gotten this to work ??

Host environment is Debian 10, 64 bit. Docker container (build container) is 32 bit.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 December 2020 07:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Headless CDT build in docker, is it broken ? [message #1839175 is a reply to message #1835875] Tue, 16 March 2021 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
Hello, the CDT build for containers uses the Docker launch code which resides in the Docker UI plug-in. This code has references to UI classes such as IViewPart to support outputting to the terminal and console views to show results. That said, headless support does not currently exist.

At present, Docker Tooling is currently in maintenance mode so there are no resources/plans to implement new features. If you would like to implement this, we would be happy to help with any questions you might have and reviewing the code submission.
Re: Headless CDT build in docker, is it broken ? [message #1839250 is a reply to message #1839175] Thu, 18 March 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Schou is currently offline Peter SchouFriend
Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I expected that once you start a build in Eclipse the build would just run and GUI would put output into correct view. I also expected that 'headless' build would start the exact same build (using docker build or not) and just send output to stdout.

I was not aware that there is a dependency on UI plugin for CDT build for containers. To bad.

But now you have confirmed that it does not work

Thanks.

/Peter
Re: Headless CDT build in docker, is it broken ? [message #1840503 is a reply to message #1839250] Fri, 16 April 2021 18:21 Go to previous message
tricks uddy is currently offline tricks uddyFriend
I have also tried it many times to fix the issue but failed at the end of the day.
Previous Topic:Can I use make instead of cmake?
Next Topic:CMake Setup Windows mingw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:57:30 GMT 2024