Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » C++17 and .language.settings.
C++17 and .language.settings. [message #1835091] Tue, 24 November 2020 16:17 Go to next message
Mario Charest is currently offline Mario CharestFriend
Hi,

Project was created years ago as "Makefile with Existing code". We are using 2020-09.

Problem showed up as we switch to C++17. Only way I found to tell Eclipse that the project must support C++17 implied the settings/.language.settings.xml being modify, This mean it can't be set to be ignore d by our version control system (git), like it used to be. That's when the things got ugly. Eclipse keep on changing the language.settings files under our nose. Don't know why. I'm guessing it's when we switch from branch to branch with different flavor of language.settings and Eclipse internal representation changes and force a rewrite, with a different content. Maybe related to people not all having the same exact version of eclipse ( 2020-03, 2020-06)

So i guess there is two questions here. How to prevent Eclipse from recreating a different version of language.setting all the time and/or how tell Eclipse the projet (MakefileFile) is C++.

Thanks!

Re: C++17 and .language.settings. [message #1835115 is a reply to message #1835091] Wed, 25 November 2020 00:50 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
.settings/.language.settings.xml is where CDT keeps the builtins provider command.
It has to be stored somewhere.
I haven't seen mine change for over a week and then only after I changed the provider command myself.

If you don't mind the CDT parser complaining about syntax
then you don't really need to have the builtins reflect C++17.
Your makefile won't be affected.

If you are using different versions of Eclipse or have different settings then you should tell each user to change the builtin provider commands for themselves.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 November 2020 12:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Indexer doesn't understand preprocessor directives in assembly file
Next Topic:automatic dsf remote debugging launcher won't start gdbserver on remote target
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:59:15 GMT 2024