Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » I cannot find a background color setting(Looking for the setting of background color of selected item when the view is inactive)
I cannot find a background color setting [message #1834970] Sun, 22 November 2020 15:18 Go to next message
Davide Vecchi is currently offline Davide VecchiFriend
I'm trying to find the setting of the background color of the selected class name in Package Explorer view when the focus is not on that view, but I can't seem to be able to find that setting.

Details:

I'm using the dark theme and I have set some colors manually. When I click a class name in the Package Explorer view, the focus of course goes to Package Explorer, and the background color of the class name is different enough from the background color of the Package Explorer view (see green arrow in screenshot "Focus on Package Explorer"), so that's good.

When I click on a class in the code editor, the focus of course goes to the code editor, and the corresponding class name becomes selected in Package Explorer (because I have "Link with editor" active). In this case unfortunately the background color of the class name in Package Explorer is almost the same as the background color of the Package Explorer view (see red arrow in screenshot "Focus on Code Editor").

So I would like to change the setting of the background color of the selected class name in Package Explorer view when the view doesn't have the focus.

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (includes Incubating components)
Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200

Windows 10
Re: I cannot find a background color setting [message #1848065 is a reply to message #1834970] Thu, 18 November 2021 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Martin is currently offline Frank MartinFriend
I have the same problem.

Have you found where the background color can be changed?

The dark theme of Eclipse is weak, in my opinion.
Re: I cannot find a background color setting [message #1848075 is a reply to message #1848065] Fri, 19 November 2021 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am pretty sure this color cannot be changed.
Which is a bit scary.

What I did is export Eclipse preferences through File > Export... > General > Preferences, and saved the preferences as an .epf file, for later editing.

When the dark theme is used, the RGB color value we're looking for is 51,51,51. I double checked.

And this color is nowhere to be found in the .epf file.
Re: I cannot find a background color setting [message #1848078 is a reply to message #1848075] Fri, 19 November 2021 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When using the classic theme (not the dark theme), this color is white... on white background! So it's even worse!
Re: I cannot find a background color setting [message #1848107 is a reply to message #1848078] Sat, 20 November 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Davide Vecchi is currently offline Davide VecchiFriend
No, I did not find where that color can be changed. I gave up, these settings are unreasonably difficult to find. When I have the focus on the code editor and I want to see that class highlighted in Package Explorer, I click on the Package Explorer tab to give it the focus so I can see the class highlighted in the tree, then I click back on the code editor and keep my eye on the class name that was highlighted in Package Explorer and is no longer highlighted. It's riduculous that this is needed but I do need the dark theme and I do need to see - visually - the package in which the class is, because I want to see what other classes are in the same package.

Themes - or at least for sure the dark theme - are poorly implemented in Eclipse and even more poorly maintained. Another utterly annoying problem with the dark theme is this bug, which probably would be ridiculously easy and quick to fix and yet it's ignored since 2016, and which is similar to the problem you had when you saved the preferences as an .epf file and you did not find this setting in the file.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2021 12:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I cannot find a background color setting [message #1848508 is a reply to message #1848107] Mon, 06 December 2021 10:56 Go to previous message
Thanks.
This is worrying. I feel Eclipse is less and less supported...
Previous Topic:Problem with org.eclipse.navigator.navigatorContent
Next Topic:Export as Runnable jar bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:18:10 GMT 2024